Author Topic: wwi RoyalIris Rifles  (Read 6105 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wwi RoyalIris Rifles
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 November 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
No, I hadn't seen Samuel McBride's age listed in any of the links for information that I checked. Yes, census ages can be wrong (as can certificates or any document) but his age, or approx. age, helps.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi with reguards  number 8225 I found that it is for a Lanc Corporal  Peter Sands age 27  1st Batt Royal Irish Rifles killed 15th Sept 1915
Regards Zion

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you examined the book Forgotten soldiers: the Irishmen shot at dawn by Stephen Walker (Gill and Macmillan, e24.99) ISBN 9780717141821which mentions Samuel McBride pp 90-94  has anyone got a copy? To help identify his background.

Is the above where you Zion found his age 26
The Irish 1901 census nearest entry based upon that age would be the 4th son of Alexander a widower living in ref 6 in Ballyfore (Raboo, Antrim) If he was a year older then he might be the son of  Edward and Maggie McBride  living in ref 75 Sloan Road (Lisburn, Antrim)

That fact that he had associations also to number 8225 noted by KGarrad, I have seen in my searches but this  is carefully worded. So it may be someones mistake copied down in time or a reference to Peter Sands as you mention and which i list.The Medal card records are
Re
WW1 medal listings include
1. Reference:   WO 372/12/182819
Description:   
Medal card of McBride, Samuel
Corps   Regiment No   Rank
Royal Irish Rifles 18/301Private
Date:    1914-1920
Held by:   The National Archives, Kew
2. Reference:   WO 372/12/182820
Description:   
Medal card of McBride, Samuel
Royal Irish Rifles 5/5009Private Also As listed by WGC
3. Reference:   WO 372/17/162525
Description:   
Medal card of Sands, Peter
Royal Irish Rifles 8225Lance Corporal
Royal Irish Rifles 8225Private

His grave is available to see on http://www.ww1wargraves.co.uk/ww1_cemeteries/ww1_cemeteries_h.asp
Accompanying text says:-  Grave in Hyde Park Corner Cemetery of No 5009 Rifleman Samuel McBride 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles executed for desertion at Hope Farm on the northern edge of Ploegsteert Wood on the 7th December 1916. Rifleman McBride had been sentenced to 2 years imprisonment with hard labour on the 25th January 1915 on a charge of desertion (having served with the B.E.F. since 6th December 1914) but was released on suspension on 3rd January 1916. Whilst the Battalion was in the Vimy Ridge sector in May 1916 Rifleman McBride went absent when his platoon were resting in a reserve position about 800 yards behind the front line. The men had been subjected to heavy fire especially from German trench mortars. On the 17th September 1916 an N.C.O. of No 2 Canadian Stationary Hospital apprehended the Rifleman at Outreau near Boulogne the Court Martial taking place on the 25th November 1916.
{note  I think his grave is in BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION which is separated from Hyde Park Corner Cemetery by a road.}

Looking for a Samuel McBride elsewhere produces
www.familysearch.org
a Samuel McBride Birth Jan - Mar 1889 Newtownards, but I think he is the other one included in the war medals
www.freebmd.org.uk 
a Samuel McBride Births Jun 1889 Cockermouth   10b   583
The district Cockermouth spans the boundaries of the counties of Cumbria and Cumberland it includes    Sand Lane Parish   Flimby where there are McBrides in the English census including a Samuel
www.GenesReunited.co.uk
turning up in trees
Samuel    McBride    1891    ...    No    Margaret   Find out more
Samuel    McBride    1889   Dalmellington ...    No    Alan   Find out more
Samuel    McBride    1889   Lethan Mill Ayrshir...    No    James   Find out more
Samuel    McBride    1886   Co Down ...    No    Raymond
Turning up in English and Scottish census 1890
Samuel    McBride    1889   Dalmellington    Son of Samuel b 1856 and Esther McBride All the family were born in Ayrshire Samuel in Dalmellington, Esther in Maybole Samuel had an older sister Isabella 1885 brother James b 1887 Samuel was a coal miner.[ Lethan Mill is 14 miles away]

I think that’s all I can offer. My condolences to all relatives JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 November 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Zion, you give nothing away
My thoughts are not for you but Samuel Mcbride
worldwide

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the reason I was interested in Samuel McBride and Peter Sands is they were in the Royal Irish Rifles as was my grandfather and his 2 brothers they died in ww1 . As it turned out the reg number 8225 belonged to Peter Sands and as I already said my grandfathers number was 8261 I found out this evening from checking the web an article which was in the Belfast Telegraph that Peter Sands was home on leave and did not return to the front ,someone reported him he was arrested and sent back for court marshall   My grandfathers medal card said  Deserted  on it but he seems to have escaped any punishment  he had to be home on leave in 1917 as he married my grandmother and I wondered if he did not go back?  no service records exist so I may never know  I have had posts on before about him Robert Pollock. I feel sorry for the ones who were executed I wonder how he felt?  regards Zion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Zion, thanks very much for explaining your background. Words escape me.
worldwide

Offline Brownshoes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello - I just stumbled on this site and I apologise if I am not across the nuances involved in genealogy and so forth. My great grandfather was Samuel McBride who was in the Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War.  I know nothing of genealogy but have literally today received a pile of original documents including a photograph of him and some service records. To my knowledge he definitely wasn't shot for desertion but I haven't had a chance to look through the documents
yet and I know there was originally some uncertainty around his death. I just felt I had to post this because I am overwhelmed by the coincidence of seeing this on the day that the documents arrived. If anyone is still interested in this I am happy to share more information as I find it if it is of any use.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Brownshoes, welcome to this website.  We need to establish which Samuel McBride  you are discussing there were at least two Samuel McBride in the Royal Irish Rifles.

5/5009 soldier number ending 5009 was this the one charged and executed Medal card of McBride, Samuel. Corps: Royal Irish Rifles. Regiment No: 5/5009. Rank: Private.
War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Langley P A - McGrath D. Medal card of McBride, Samuel. Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Irish Rifles 5/5009 Private.
Held by:   The National Archives - War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date:   1914 - 1920
Reference:   WO 372/12/182820
Subjects:   Armed Forces (General Administration) | Army | Conflict | Medals |

18/301 is the other does this soldier number relate to you Brownshoes
Medal card of McBride, Samuel. Corps: Royal Irish Rifles. Regiment No: 18/301. Rank: Private.
War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Langley P A - McGrath D. Medal card of McBride, Samuel. Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Irish Rifles 18/301 Private.
Held by:   The National Archives - War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date:   1914 - 1920
Reference:   WO 372/12/182819
Subjects:   Armed Forces (General Administration) | Army | Conflict | Medals | Operations, battles and campaigns

for more mcbrides see http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/D3760826
WO 372/12/182821 1914-1920
Medal card of McBride, Samuel Corps: Labour Corps Regiment No: 482488 Rank: Private
Details
WO 372/12/182822 1914-1920
Medal card of McBride, Samuel Corps: Army Cyclist Corps Regiment No: 4729 Rank: Private
Details
WO 372/12/182823 1914-1920
Medal card of McBride, Samuel Corps: Army Service Corps Regiment No: T4/058928 Rank: Lance Corporal...
Details
Do please tell us if can you thow any further light from you pile of original documents. let me add lucky you.
Best regards
worldwide