Author Topic: Friend Lamb & other family buried in Sunderland, any Gravestones still there?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline misfit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
This is a request from Australia. I recently got info on some burials in Sunderland and wondered if anyone would be able to check the cemeteries and see if anything can be seen of the graves.

Ann Robson was buried on 9 Dec 1863 at Mere Knolls, grave no 472 in perpetuity in unconsecrated ground. Her husband Thomas Robson, keelman was buried on 7 March 1871 in the same grave.

Ann's brother George Lamb, boat builder was buried 24 April 1859 in grave 604 ward 7 section AA. His wife Caroline Lamb was also buried there in July 1904. Their daughter Ellen Carlin was buried in ward 7 section AA grave 538 in April 1906. Her son Herbert Daniel Carlin was buried on 25 June 1931 in ward 7 section AA grave 539 in unconsecrated ground.

Another relative Friend Lamb was buried 6 Jan 1914 in ward 3 section BB grave 2604 in consecrated ground (to a depth of 6 feet!). I think this may be in Grangetown  Cemetery.

I understand that AA designates common graves which have not been purchased by families so it is unlikely that there will be a memorial. If anyone is going to the cemeteries anyway, I would be very grateful if you could check for me. Thomas and Ann Robson's daughter Margaret emigrated to New Zealand in 1855 and is my GG grandmother.

Many thanks,
Di

PS I have digital copies of the burial registers and could provide them if it helps. There are 5 pages with 20 records per page so these may help someone else, if you can tell me where to send them.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Lamb & other family buried in Sunderland, any Gravestones still there?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi are you aware of this site?:

http://www.sunderlandward.co.uk/cemeteryindex.html

index of names from various sunderland area cemeterys - transcriptons available on request - email on site.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline misfit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Lamb & other family buried in Sunderland, any Gravestones still there?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy
Thanks for that. I got as much info as I could online, I think a couple of people transcribed the Mere Knolls register and that was very helpful.
I have used your second listing and that is what referred me to the Sunderland Library people.
It all has to be done in 2 steps as the online records only give you the box, folio and entry number which then have to be physically looked at in the library.
I am hoping you have some fine weather and someone will feel like a spot of cemetery searching!