Author Topic: LAWLOR / HENNESSEY Families  (Read 9726 times)

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
LAWLOR / HENNESSEY Families
« on: Sunday 13 February 05 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear Listers

Has anyone any info. on a William LAWLOR who married Elizabeth HENNESSEY - C1862 in Limerick, Ireland and they  came to Australia in 1865 on the ship "ROYAL DANE" with daughters, Mary 2 years old and a baby Margaret Eliza born in Limerick.

The HENNESSEYS were from Shanagolden.

Thankyou

Christmack
13/2/2005
ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

Offline Rossco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LAWLOR / HENNESSEY Families
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Christmack
I have been told of this site ten minutes ago and the first thing I look up is Limerick to try and find my G Grandfather & G Grandmother & come across your posting.
My GGF & GGM William Lawlor & Elizabeth Hennessey came to Australia with eldest daughter Mary from Limerick but that is all I know of there life before Australia so I can fill you in from there. I have a auntie who has just turned ninety & she is,I think, there last living Grandchild.

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 05 05:59 BST (UK) »
Rossco

Great to hear from someone connected to our Lawlor line. They are such a large family but unfortunately not too many are interested in family history research.
You mentioned that your Aunt is the only known grandchild alive, but my Husband's mother, now 85 years is still alive and well, she is also a grandchild of William and Elizabeth and as longevity seems to be in their genes as Mary, their first child, lived to be 100, we will probably find that there are some more.

Firstly can you tell me which child of William and Elizabeth that you are a descendant of?
This is my husband's family line through his mother and William and Elizabeth were his Great Grandparents.
They came to Australia on the "Royal Dane" in 1865 arriving at Keppel Bay where the ship was quarantined for a measles outbreak. I have been unable to find the actual shipping list showing the family on board (this is not for the want of trying as I have looked everywhere for it). I only found the ship as it was written on the back of a family photograph, also in an article written by William.

They did have a second child born in Limerick, Margaret Eliza born 12th March 1865 but there is no record of her after that. Either she died before they left Ireland at which time Margaret would only have been weeks old, or she died on the way out here. Probably the latter but without the ship's list I cannot say for sure. The family story was that she was buried on the banks of the Brisbane River, but I have not been able to prove this.
We do know that she died as they named the next daughter who was born in Australia the same name of Margaret Eliza.

Elizabeth Hennessey had three brothers, Robert, Thomas and George and their father was John HENNESSEY who died at Shanagolden on 8/3/1885.

William and Elizabeth married on 5/11/1862.

From what we have been told the reason that they came to Australia was because William and Elizabeth were of different religions and the families did not approve of the marriage.

Their children were as follows:
1.Mary born  24/8/1863 at Limerick married 1.SWANSON 2.TANNER
2.Margaret Eliza born 12/3/1865 at Limerick died 1865 at ???
3.John Charles born 4/3/1867 at Petersham,N.S.W. marr.F.Birkenshaw
4.William Godfrey Massey born 13/6/1868 Petersham marr.  M.ERHART
5.Margaret Eliza born 1871  marr. Robert HARLE
6.James George born 1872 died 1873
7.Robert Montegue born 1874 marr. Rebecca
8.Isabella born 1877 married Jim MILLER
9.Edwin born 1882 died 1884
10.Hannah born in Tenterfield married ??? BOYD.

I hope that this has been of some help to you and now that I know that you are also tracing the same family it will be great to be able to work together with you.

Can you let me know what information you have on  the descendants of the children of William and Elizabeth as listed above so that I can add them to our family tree.

I was also told that either the Lawlor or the Hennessey family were originally from Spain ??? Do you know anything of this.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Regards
Christmack.
21/5/2005

PS Let me know your e.mail address so that we can keep in touch.
     By the way where in Australia do you live?

BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline kezmai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 07 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Christmack
I am a descendant of Isabella Lawlor who married James Miller the info you have is the same as I have must have been past on by the same person. Have you been to Tenterfield Museum they have the wicked light, pew and a wooden plate from the church that they build there.
Would love to hear from you to swapo info by the way my Aunty Maggie daughter of Margaret Lawlor and Robert Harle died aged 103yrs.

regards Kerry

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 07 03:16 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Great to hear from you. My husband's Great Grandfather was William Godfrey Massey LAWLOR who was born in 1868. He was the sibling of your Margaret.
My biggest stumbling block is finding the records of the ROYAL DANE's journey to Australia in 1865 and details of the first Margaret Eliza who was born in 1865 in Ireland before the family left and died during their journey.

I have been trying for years to obtain this Shipping list, but to no avail.
I do know that it was the ROYAL DANE and the year was 1865 as this was written on the back of a photocopy of a photograph.

There is a lot in the newspapers of the time about this ship's arrival but the ship's list is really evading me.
Apparently it was quarantined in Rockhampton for measles and later the passengers for Brisbane came to Brisbane on the LEICHHARDT.

I do know that this child was born to William and Elizabeth in the March of 1865 in Ireland and there does not appear to be any record of her after their arrival here in Australia. It would also be great to be able to get back further in Ireland but this is where I come that proverbial brick wall I am afraid !!!

Looking forward to hearing from you
Take care,
Christine

BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline kezmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine
sorry taken so long to get back hectic month, Jody is my daughter she told me about the web site. We are descendants of Isabella Lawlor sibling of William Godfrey Massey. I too have had no luck with the royal dane. I believe you have had contact with my mother's cousin Grace daughter of Margaret Harle daughter of Margaret Elizabeth Lawlor and Robert Harle she has recently returned from Ireland with no progress - tried churches registries etc with no result. Have you been to the museum in Tenterfield ? My mother and I went on a wednesday which is the only day they are closed, I have photos of the pew, wicked light and a collection plate from the church they built on their property at sunnyside do you have them too also i believe my mother have photos of William with a grandson and another of Elizabeth. Would be interested in your info. Love to hear from you again wont take so long next time.

Regards
Kerry

Offline SuzieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 10 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Hannah Lawlor and Lars Boyd. Looking to contact C Mackay who once wrote to my mother in Newcastle re Lalwor (tenterfield) family

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Suzie,

You have found me. I will send you a personal message with my e.mail contact so that we can compare information as we do have the same family.

Christmack
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Members usually need to have 2/3 posts before being able to use PM (personal message) system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!