Author Topic: Corridon/Maguire/Walsh  (Read 5110 times)

Offline CorrJud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corridon/Maguire/Walsh
« on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
If anyone can throw any more light on these basic facts about my ancestors I’d be so grateful. This is the sum total of what we have of this generation and nothing of the earlier.

My great grandmother Mary Maguire was born about 1840 in Ireland and died in Calcutta, India on the 5th January 1894. She was the daughter of Captain William Maguire of the Merchant Navy and a ship owner. He died at Rio de Janiero, Brazil, South America. After his death, Mary with her mother and her brother, James [T] Maguire went to live with her mother’s brother, Mr Oliver Walsh, merchant in Limerick, Ireland. Her brother, James T Maguire emigrated to the USA and served in the 37th New York Infantry Regiment from 1861 and lived in New York till his death in 1888

My great grandfather Richard Corridon, was born about 1835 in St John’s, Limerick and died at Chisrat N W Frontier with the British Army in Afghanistan during the Second Afghan War, on 26th June 1879. He was employed at Mr Oliver Walsh’s firm in Limerick and married Mary Maguire in Sept 1860 in Limerick then joined the British Army in Dec 1860. They went to India with the British Army in 1872. Richard Corridon had 2 sisters, Bridget and Julia.

Offline CorrJud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corridon/Maguire/Walsh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Message for luimneach. Thank you so much for the PM - unfortunately it says my inbox is full (with one!!) and I am not allowed to send private messages, but I am registerd - today.

Thanks for all your help. I have a feeling that the Richard Corridon in the city cemetary in 1860 may be the Richard above's father (the name seems to have gone from generation to generation) Do you know if there is a date of birth on it?

I found an Oliver Walsh today here and wondered whether he could have been the policeman.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/05%2021%2036%20duggan.pdf

Duggan, male (706 Kb) , Limerick Chronicle 21/05/1836, report, assistant to Oliver Walsh, attacked by a mob at Kilmallock, hit with a stone and beaten, died later in hospital

Thanks so much for your help!