Author Topic: Mormon converts in Sussex - Weller  (Read 2107 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Mormon converts in Sussex - Weller
« on: Monday 28 April 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Some of my Wellers seem to have become Mormons some time in the 1860s and emigrated to Utah in 1877. Is there any information on the Mormons in Sussex in this period?

Joseph Weller (b1818 Northiam) and two of his children, Elizabeth Weller (b1859 Ewhurst) & Jesse Heber Weller (b 1869 Brede) emigrated to Utah in 1877 via Liverpool.

Two of Joseph's children were christened in the parish church in Ewhurst in 1861 which might suggest that he had not then converted but Jesse Heber's second name suggests a Mormon link by1869. Joseph's wife Susannah (nee Vine) died the year before he emigrated. There seems to some doubt as to whether she was Jesse's mother.
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon converts in Sussex - Weller
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Seems to have been a recruiting push in the 1860-70s, they even had their own ships. Mormon website is your best bet for history  & info. I found a diary on there of a relation's 2 month wagon train journey - makes terrible reading
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
And they have a large 'estate' not too far from Gatwick, for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place.

But I used to pass it regularly when parents lived in Eastbourne.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
And they have a large 'estate' not too far from Gatwick, for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place.

But I used to pass it regularly when parents lived in Eastbourne.

Is this it

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/london/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 May 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
That's the place just south of Lingfield. My ancestors tale is on http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/trailExcerptMulti?lang=eng&sourceId=5673 on the Mormon site.
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 May 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
That's the place just south of Lingfield. My ancestors tale is on http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/trailExcerptMulti?lang=eng&sourceId=5673 on the Mormon site.

All those burials on their journey  :'(

It certainly makes you think about what they went through
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 May 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
From http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/trailExcerptMulti?lang=eng&companyId=207&sourceId=5678
 " Our company consisted of sixty wagons, and about six hundred and sixty-five souls. Of these there were about 570 English, the greater part of whom emigrated from England this year, and the remainder of the company were Scotch, Welsh, Germans and Americans.

We had twenty-eight deaths, nine births and four marriages. The deaths were chiefly caused by fever and diarrhoea, and nearly all of them were children under five years of age."
 They were in tents at Florence Omaha for 6 weeks before departure.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 May 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Believe that there is a college in East Grinstead.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert