Author Topic: Dunning family - Co. Down  (Read 5779 times)

Offline me2012

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunning family - Co. Down
« on: Friday 04 October 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Alexander Dunning (m) Margaret  (last name unknown)
their son David was born about 1831
another son named Samuel 1843

It's believed that David migrated to Australia around 1853 (married in 1856 in Australia)
Samuel - married Sarah Campbell (uncertain if in Ireland or US) and 2 children Charles (b 1871) and Alice (b 1873) - Samuel arrived in Australia as a widower from the US in 1880.   Before arriving to Australia, samuel and his wife lived in the US (Stanford Connecticut) where she died. 

Any help relating to the Dunnings of Co. Down would be appreciated.  J.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunning family - Co. Down
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 13 20:34 BST (UK) »
Think you mean Stamford in Fairfield Co., Connecticut? Have you checked for census and marriage records, births of children, etc. there to see if you can pin down date and place of marriage?

Added- perhaps this is your source? lists Sarah's death in Stanford-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/3SL7-LVQ
Same (submitted) tree shows 2 children born in Connecticut- Charles (1872) and Alice (1874)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
So why for Co Down?
Co Down
The 1911 census has a Mrs Sarah Dunning aged 69, a widow married 36 years living in 29 in Harbour Road (Kilkeel, Down).

Ros Davies appears to have only one entry http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/D/DunDy.htm#dunn
Mrs Ann Jane DUNNING   of Belfast   died 11 Mar 1910; daughter of Moses & Maria Jamison; buried Raffrey Presbyterian graveyard, Killinchy   MIs

No Dunning listed in Co Down Census 1901.

In 1868, Mary Lennon in her website has an entry in CO Down Belfast SHORT STRAND STREET which ran from Short Strand to Francis Street
Dunning, Alex., seaman

In early 1860s no Dunnings listed in www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index

Co Antrim
However change the area to Co Antrim inc that Part of Belfast in Co Antrim and you find
In 1911 census there are a few families mainly living in woodvale area
In 1901 census the only co antrim Dunnings who were born in Co Down is a Mrs Mary Dunning

In early 1860s no Dunnings in Co Antrim In early 1860s no Dunnings listed in www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index

Elsewhere in Ireland in 1850s-1860s listed in www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index are 59 Dunning of which the great majority live in Co Roscommon, about 18 in Co Tipperary, 3 in Co Donegal, One in Aghadowey Co LondonDerry, One in Co Cavan, One in Co Longford

Across the water in Scotland Ayrshire in 1841 is a family or two
Across the water in England  Liverpool is a John DUNNING B 1791 Birth County   IRELAND

So first reactions is how scarce a name it is in some of the irish records, which of course might be how the name sounded and was recorded eg PRONI has a will Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of John Dunning otherwise Denning late of Carricknashane County Donegal Farmer who died 10 November 1892 at same place were granted at Londonderry to Edward Denning of Carricknashane Farmer the Brother.  That sent me back to Ros Davies for example Frederick Benson   DENNING Newry   son of John Denning ; aged 36 married Isabella Waddell 4 Jun 1856 CR and there I stopped, none the wiser. Good luck JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
The link for Griffith's Valuation is the old location and doesn't lead to a direct link for Griffith's- here's the new one: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

George Dunning in Griffith's was living in Lisnamuck townland (Aghadowey Parish)- and there for a few years later.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/D/DunDy.htm directs information on the surname Dunnin (another variation) to Donnan- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/D/DonDoo.htm

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey, have altered my address book, and Dunnin and Donnan interesting.So Me2012 more Good luck needed. JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline JennyPeters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 July 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
Alexander Dunning (m) Margaret  (last name unknown)
their son David was born about 1831
another son named Samuel 1843

It's believed that David migrated to Australia around 1853 (married in 1856 in Australia)
Samuel - married Sarah Campbell (uncertain if in Ireland or US) and 2 children Charles (b 1871) and Alice (b 1873) - Samuel arrived in Australia as a widower from the US in 1880.   Before arriving to Australia, samuel and his wife lived in the US (Stanford Connecticut) where she died. 

Any help relating to the Dunnings of Co. Down would be appreciated.  J.

I hope that this is not too late, but I think Charles was my grandfather. Born in Stamford CT . Father's name Samuel, mother's name Sarah. My grandfather came to Australia with Charles (as a child) looking for gold. We are not sure if his sister came with him or was left in the US. The anecdotal name for her was sissy.
He married my grandmother (also of Irish decent) and they sailed back to the US to 'collect an inheritance' around the very early nineteen hundreds. but my grandmother hated America and they  came back to Australia.
What a story!

Offline JennyPeters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Charles Dunning was my grandfather. Mother Sarah, father Samuel born in Stamford Ct. Went to Australia as a child with his father and sister Alice. Became a Tailor. Married my grandmother Harriet Parkes. Had five children.
Charles died of TB in his forties and Harriet lived until she was 87 years old.

They had five children, but none lived long lives. My mother (their youngest) was the only child who outlived her mother.

Offline JustMee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny
I didn't think anyone was adding to the page - sorry I hadn't replied earlier.

Yeah - I knew of the son who went to the US, only that he had gone there.  As David (my line) had come to Australia where he settled.  Still cannot find anything regarding their parents Alexander and Margaret in Co. Downs, Ireland.  They are a mystery.  But there is a wealth of history regarding David Dunning's line in Australia.  I liked the story about your grandfather going to Australia in search of gold, like many did.   J.

Offline MitchOzM8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 15 04:01 BST (UK) »
David Dunning is my 3rd great grandfather. His actual immigration to Australia has proven impossible to track down. I note that Charles Dunning and his family returned to the US in 1907 (records show them in the 1910 census) and returned back to Australia in 1911. I was told that he was a tailor or high regard in Sydney and the pictures that I have seen of him, he was dressed in a fine suit.