Author Topic: moore from donaghadee  (Read 7762 times)

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
moore from donaghadee
« on: Friday 01 August 14 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been checking dates my great grand father John Moore married in 1849 and his father is listed as James Agnew Moore  who died 1848  John's mother would had to have been around 51( going by the year she died)  which seems rather old to have a child? the only  info about James Agnew Moore is on a headstone in the parish church grave yard in Donaghadee which gives his age at death and wife Mary age at death.  John Moore is listed in 1901 census as 72 years old but none of the deaths between 1901 and 1911 ( he is not on the 1911 Census) match in with the age he would have been, John's wife Jane died in 1891 but I still cannot find a grave for either of them 
Regards Zion

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: moore from donaghadee
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 August 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
You are into memorials but how about the church records, listed by PRONI, Belfast.
Church of Ireland. Donaghadee (Down diocese)
Baptisms, 1771-1893; marriages, 1772-1844; burials,
1771-86 and 1817-41; vestry minutes, 1779-1870; list
of parishioners, 1797.
Indexes to baptisms, 1771-1845, marriages, 1772-
1844, and burials, 1771-1841.
MIC1/17; CR/1/54; MIC583/5;
D1944/8
On library shelves in PRONI
Vestry minutes, 1871-; cess applotment, 1779-1870;
preachers’ books, 1825-1934; Sustentation Fund book,
1870-79. In local custody
Good luck anyway JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 August 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, But I have spoken to the minister the names are not in their burial record book

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
My incomplete working notes on finding John McBratney Moores birth and possible death.   Some years ago I made a combined  index of Bill Cardwells photos  of cemeteries F
Eg  from http://www.graves2.homecall.co.uk/Templepatrick/FrameSet.htm ‘Sacred to the memory of John Moore late of Millisle who died 13th Feb 1831 aged 46 years. Also two of his children, Margaret and Isaac. Also his son David Moore who died 2nd Sep 1834 aged 8 years. Also his son Hugh Moore who died 15th Jun 1835 aged 19 years

In his earlier work  http://www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee/FrameSet.htm
He has the following
Moore A the earliest .. Here lyeth ye body of Patrick Hunter who died Sep 17th 1723 aged 70 years. Also his wife Agnes Moore ..
Moore E Erected by David Moore of Donaghadee in memory of his mother Eliza Moore who died 10 Nov 1895 aged 60 ...
Moore J A  “Hugh Moore of Canneyreagh imo his father James Agnew Moore .. 1848 .. mother Mary Moore alias McBratney .. wife Anna Maria Moore alias McConkey …  {I didnt look for the McConkey marriage at all}
Moore M another early John Hodgson imo his father Henry Hodgson who died on the 13th June 1835 aged 68 years. Also his mother Mary Hodgson alias Moore..
Moore WC Erected by Hugh Moore, Hogstown, in loving memory of his son William C Moore who died 24th May 1918 ...

In 1863 there are several Moore entries in Griffiths valuation 
Eliza SHORE ST Esther BALLYRAWER
Hugh{3} CARRYREAGH HERDSTOWN, KILLAGHY ROAD 
Isabella{2} HUNTER'S LANE 
James HERDSTOWN 
Jane  HUNTER'S LANE   also owned 2 properties in Shore St 
John{2} BALLYHAY HOGSTOWN HOGSTOWN
Robert HOGSTOWN
Samuel HERDSTOWN
Thomas HOGSTOWN

father James Agnew Moore .died. 1848 .. mother Mary Moore alias McBratney
children
1. Hugh Moore
H.....   MOORE   .   Donaghadee   son of Hugh Moore (a farmer); married Charlotte McMekin of Donaghadee 25 Apr 1856 at Linenhall Presbyterian Church, Belfast   PR
2. John McBratney Moore b 1824 UHF aged 72 in 1901 married Jane  who died 1891 {emerald ancestry has a Jane died 1892 a John married an Eliz Jane Belfast 1855, ina Jane in1858,  another in Newtownards Elizabeth  Jane xxxx, another same place 1865
A death of a john Moore  took place in 1904 see familysearch.org     Jul - Sep 1904
Event Place:    Downpatrick, Ireland  Registration Quarter and Year:    Jul - Sep 1904  Registration District:    Downpatrick  Age:    80  Birth Year (Estimated):    1824  Could he have been moved there for his health A big mental hospital from memory Initially is was opened as the County Down Lunatic Asylum and ended up as the Downshire Hospital.

Did John have a son called Isaac
A John Moore Father of groom Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
child:   Isaac Moore   other:   Margaret Mcmeekan, James Mcmeekan
02 Oct 1852
Event Place:    Newtownards, Down, Ire

Then I went back to Ros Davies and found Miss   Jane   McBRATNEY       Newtownards    wife of John Moore ; mother of John b. 10 Nov & bpt. 10 Dec 1848 at 1st Newtownards Presbyterian Church

I think there are two Moore – McBratney marriages or mcMeekan  But I have got tired so stopping hopesomething is new for yoy as real or possibilities
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info their are so many John Moore and I cannot be sure the GRONI  site has the ages of them correct at time of death as I discovered with another family tree search the age on the headstone was no were close to what is recorded confusing or what.   I thought the 1904 death of John  was the closest but death cert said died in Ballycastle and wife Margaret but death recorded in Newtownards we have no record of John  remarrying after Jane died in 1891 and as said in 1901 he is living with son Hugh and family in Herdstown aged 72  the only date of death I can find is for Jane 1891 but cannot find where she is buried. regards Zion

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I should have said John Moore married Jane Connaway or Conway on 28th December 1849 that is where his father is named as James Agnew Moore and I was taking the headstone in D'Dee with this name on it as the same James Agnew Moore.  Zion

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Came to this thread via one on U.S. board and have a few comments to make as it's possible you are focusing too much on dates and ages in the records you have found.

John's mother would had to have been around 51( going by the year she died)  which seems rather old to have a child? Not at all unusual at a time when women started giving birth at around age 20 with another child every few years at first then perhaps in her 40s a greater space between children. There was a thread somewhere on RC about this recently. The other thing to consider is that the age on her gravestone isn't accurate (often the case).

John Moore is listed in 1901 census as 72 years old but none of the deaths between 1901 and 1911 ( he is not on the 1911 Census) match in with the age he would have been, John's wife Jane died in 1891 but I still cannot find a grave for either of them
Again, ages not always correct so John could have been older or younger in 1901 or age given on death certificate incorrect. Many people did not have the money, or inclination, to put up a headstone and even if they did it might be illegible/broken or have been removed from the plot.

But I have spoken to the minister the names are not in their burial record book
If this is the correct family then they are listed as Presbyterian.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballycross/Herdstown/1255800
Many Presbyterians were buried in the Parish (Church of Ireland) ground but I know of several rectors who only recorded C. of I. families in the burial register and this could certainly be the case here. Also, near me a C. of I. church removed many Presbyterian headstones over the years as the churchyard became more crowded and 'old' plots were re-issued to members of that church.

so many John Moore and I cannot be sure the GRONI  site has the ages of them correct at time of death
The ages on GRONI's database will be taken from the death certificate and this is from the informant (who may or may not have known the correct age- as indeed many people didn't even know their exact date of birth).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
By 1911 census Hugh & family have moved-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Donaghadee_Rural/Hogstown/264355

You can search the Valuation Revision Books to see when they might have left Herdstown, if John's name was crossed off at some point after 1901, etc.
www.proni.gov.uk

Herdstown came under Newtownards Registration District.
This John Moore (c1813-1906) buried Movilla Cemetery, N'ards so not likely-
     https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRXJ-PPG
     https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KX14-CPD

Have you checked to see residence, name of informant, etc.?
John Moore (c1823-1906) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRX2-YMN
     died 31 Jan.1906 (Newtownards sub-district)
     of Ballyhalbert (PRONI Will Extract)
John Moore (c1823-1902) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTXN-LZS
     died 12 Aug.1902 (Newtownards sub-district)
     of Killcarn (PRONI Will Extract)
John Moore (c1831-1904) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTFF-W2C
     died 19 Aug.1904 (Newtownards sub-district)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowdey,  thanks for your comments about John Moore and I agree ages may be incorrect
but I went through all the GRONI records for deaths of a John Moore and none that come close to his listed age are him so I cannot find a death record or a grave for him and although I found that his wife Jane died in 1891  I cannot still find out where she is buried and I thought if I got her grave John would have been buried in it as well
Regards Zion