Author Topic: GARDNER Family of Northamptonshire & Leicestershire  (Read 17471 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GARDNER Family of Northamptonshire & Leicestershire
« Reply #63 on: Monday 08 December 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
There is then a William and Rebecca with several children in Dunchurch 1841

HO107/1137/8/10 Census sheet as Thurlaston
The Village, Dunchurch, Rugby, Warwickshire

William    Garner    Male    35    1806    Warwickshire....carpenter
Rebecca    Garner    Female    35    1806    Warwickshire
Mary Ann    Garner    Female    8    1833    Warwickshire
William    Garner    Male    7    1834    Warwickshire
Jesse    Garner    Female    5    1836    Warwickshire
George    Garner    Male    3    1838    Warwickshire
James    Garner    Male    0    1841    Warwickshire

This family seems to tie into the area mentioned for birth but not doing so well 1861
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline LancasterIII

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Willsy.

Whilst they are Garners rather than Gardners (as we know, they seem to appear under different surname variations for whatever reason!), those 1841 & 1851 families certainly look possibilities due to father William's stated occupation of carpenter & they fit in with James' birth date & place in the 1871, 1881 & 1891 censuses (it says birthplace Birmingham in the 1901 census, but I think that must be a mistake).

They suggest then that James' mother was Rebecca, but presumably she died between 1841 (when she was in the census) & 1850 (when father William appears to have married Elizabeth Cock(e)rill).  Must look for her death.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why all of William & Rebecca's children (other than James) don't appear in the 1851 census with William & new wife Elizabeth, at which time they would have been between 13 & 18.

It's also a mystery as to where James, William etc are in the 1861 Census.  When James married Amelia Tysall in 1862, he gave his address as Mill Street (must be Aston or Birmingham).  Might that help in tracking him down in the 1861 Census?

I'd previously found (in the 1841 & 1851 censuses) a William Gardner with wife Elizabeth & son James of the correct birthdate, in Daventry, but William's occupation was stated as shoe maker rather than carpenter, so I guess this is the wrong family.  Shows how careful you have to be, especially with common names.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Brough, Gardner, Quiney, Sadkie, Srawley, Twist, Wallis

Offline LancasterIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 01:02 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has a burial of a Rebecca Garner on 30 Nov 1848 at Daventry, which would fit in with the date range mentioned in my reply above.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XXKX-XNB

I wonder if there's an image of the parish burial register available anywhere, which might tell us more?

Offline LancasterIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
In respect of daughter Emila Jane Gardner referred to in my first post in this thread, the 1861 Census has a family named Partridge living at Sheepcote Street, Birmingham.  The family includes head Joseph, wife Jane, daughter Amelia (aged 19, unmarried, born B'ham) & another daughter Emma aged 6 months.  Seems as though this could be the Amelia Tysall who married James Gardener in 1862 in B'ham, because the marriage register gives her address as Sheepcote Street & her father John Tysall in the marriage register died & her mother Jane re-married a Joseph Partridge.

The Emma Partridge aged 6 months living with them is listed at the bottom of the family, below the lodger.  Might this suggest that child Emma Partridge was perhaps the illegitimate daughter of Amelia (Tysall/Partridge), rather than the daughter of head Joseph Partridge & his wife Jane? Were illegitimate children often "separated" out in this way on census returns?

FindMyPast has a death & burial of an Emily Tysall Gardner in 1865. The deaths register entry is Q2 1865, Birmingham, volume 6d, page 101. The burial entry refers to Witton Cemetery, Birmingham with a registry reference 9400 (the record set is described as "Warwickshire, Birmingham Burials, 1833-2010"). I wonder if there is a parish burial register image available which might reveal more (eg her age, residence)? Would the middle name "Tysall" & surname Gardner suggest that she was indeed the illegitimate daughter of James Gardner & Amelia (maiden name Tysall)?

It occurs to me that Emila/Emily's baptism took place on 26 Feb 1865 & her death was registered Q2 in the same year, so she had died before July, therefore aged 4 years (dob on the baptism register is 21 Aug 1860, assuming it is correct). Unless it was a sudden death (eg accident), she may have already been sick & close to death when she was baptised. How sad.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 22:35 GMT (UK) »
No parish register I'm afraid, it all points to the family, might be worth ordering the death certificate to be sure.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline LancasterIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 02:41 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has a marriage of a William Garner to Rebecca Riley on 14 Jun 1830 at St Philip, B'ham (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJHY-NBS).  This could be the correct marriage (eg daughter Mary Ann born circa three years later c1833 Warwickshire) but why was the marriage in B'ham if they were later living in Thurlaston?  Was Rebecca from B'ham (possible, because the 1841 says born in Warwickshire)?  The christenings below suggest the family were living in Thurlaston/Dunchurch from 1831 onwards.

On 09 December, I posted a reply referring to a death of a Rebecca Garner in 1848, so, if it's the same person, we're not going to be able to find her town of birth from the 1851 Census.

It also has a burial of a William Garner on 17 Nov 1851 at Dunchurch (a town near the village of Thurlaston, where he was in the 1841 & 1851 Censuses), aged 45 (therefore born c1806, which would fit in with his age in the 1851 Census).

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP1G-4PF 

This would explain why we can't find him in the 1861 Census.

Also, christenings of their children:
* Elizabeth Garner, 19 Jun 1831 Dunchurch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NY5G-C5S).  She isn't mentioned in the 1841 Census, so possibly she'd died by then.  Presumably first child after the marriage.
* Mary Ann Garner, 20 Jan 1833 Thurlaston (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP96-VPJ).
* William Thomas Garner, 20 Apr 1834 Dunchurch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP96-882).
* James Garner, 06 Dec 1840 Dunchurch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQTP-VZ6).

I can't find any christenings for Jesse (I'm not sure this is the correct name, looks more like Jobe/Jope on the 1841 Census image) or George on FamilySearch.

All of this pre-supposes of course that this William & Rebecca Garner are the correct parents of "my" James Garner/Gardner!

Further thoughts welcome!

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 12 December 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Good news then

A William Thomas Gardner, Sawyer of Newton Street, has a father William.... Carpenter

William Thomas Gardner
Birth Year:    abt 1832
Marriage Date:    7 Jun 1854
Marriage Age:    22
Marriage Place:    Birmingham, St Philip, Warwickshire, England
Spouse:    Jane Holder
Spouse Gender:    Female
Spouse Marriage Age:    26
Father:    William Gardner
Spouse's Father:    David Holder

Census returns go between Dunchurch and Thurlaston for birth
Willsy