Author Topic: Offer - photos of gravestones in Widdrington, Longhirst, Ulgham  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Offer - photos of gravestones in Widdrington, Longhirst, Ulgham
« on: Thursday 30 January 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I can take photos of gravestones in these three churchyards.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Offer - photos of gravestones in Widdrington, Longhirst, Ulgham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass

My mams eldest brother David Thomas Johnson died 1926 with pneumonia aged 2 years. I found the death and my mam said he was buried in Ulgham but she dosen`t know if there was a headstone. If your ever around those parts could you please take a look? Parents names are John William Johnson and Sarah Jane.

Susan

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
I'll check it out, might be a little while.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
No problem Gen there`s no rush. Thank you its much appreciated

Susan

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan

I looked at the burial register for Ulgham first, at the Northumberland Archives, Woodhorn.

"Ulgham burials FilmM613
David Thomas JOHNSON   (of) Council houses, Widdrington Station   (buried) Feb 19th 1926   (age) 2 years   ceremony performed by P C Fielding, vicar of Ulgham"

There is no grave book or plot plan deposited at Woodhorn, so on the way home I stopped at Ulgham church. The graveyard is in two parts, the older graves around the church and the newer ones over a little lane to the side. The newer graves only seem to go back to the 1950's.The older graves all seem to be in the 1800's. Maybe I missed some as the area is a bit spread out and a small portion is overgrown with brambles and bushes. Most are neatly kept.

I was talking afterwards to one of the transcribers at Woodhorn and she said she thought the gravestones are presently being recorded. Possibly the present vicar might have a plot plan of the graveyard and/or the grave book. This is a bit speculative but maybe worth following up?

1926 was at a time of unemployment and wide-spread financial constraint up here in the NE, possibly there was no spare money for gravestones or memorials, that is something you might consider.

Gen in NBL England

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan

I looked at the burial register for Ulgham first, at the Northumberland Archives, Woodhorn.

"Ulgham burials FilmM613
David Thomas JOHNSON   (of) Council houses, Widdrington Station   (buried) Feb 19th 1926   (age) 2 years   ceremony performed by P C Fielding, vicar of Ulgham"

There is no grave book or plot plan deposited at Woodhorn, so on the way home I stopped at Ulgham church. The graveyard is in two parts, the older graves around the church and the newer ones over a little lane to the side. The newer graves only seem to go back to the 1950's.The older graves all seem to be in the 1800's. Maybe I missed some as the area is a bit spread out and a small portion is overgrown with brambles and bushes. Most are neatly kept.

I was talking afterwards to one of the transcribers at Woodhorn and she said she thought the gravestones are presently being recorded. Possibly the present vicar might have a plot plan of the graveyard and/or the grave book. This is a bit speculative but maybe worth following up?

1926 was at a time of unemployment and wide-spread financial constraint up here in the NE, possibly there was no spare money for gravestones or memorials, that is something you might consider.

Gen in NBL England

Hi Gen thank you very much for checking that out for me. I wasn`t sure whether there was a gravestone, I dont think one would have been in 1926 as my grandparents would have been young and really just starting out so cant imagine them having the money but thought they might have a memorial at some point. My grandparents are both buried in a plot in Chevington and I wondered why David Thomas was buried in Ulgham but my mother said they lived in Widdrington when David died. I`m hoping to visit the cemetary soon, well as soon as my daughter passes her driving test. The trouble is all of my mothers family are buried out in the country making them hard to get to.

Thanks again Gen
Susan