Author Topic: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82  (Read 15324 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice please. First of all I will give you the information that I do know.

My g grandmother Elizabeth Jane Mabon born 1889-92 married my g grandfather Thomas Brown in 1901 reg district Morpeth  Jan-feb-march qr volume 10b pge 575 witnesses were William Dodds and Grace Lillico.

I cant find them as newlyweds on the 1901 census but have found them on the 1911 census living at 48 Chevington Crescent Acklington in the civil parish east/west chevington bullocks hall. Elizabeth Janes estimated birth year is 1882 and states born in Bedlington and Thomas Brown estimated birth year 1878 born in Broomhill. They are with their children Elizabeth Ann b 1902 Chevington, Sarah Jane Brown b 1906 Chevington (my grandmother) who was born Sept 25th 1905, Thomas William 1907 Chevington, Margaret Brown 1909. It appears from the census they had another 2 children that must have died in infancy.

From What I have been told from my mam is that Elizabeth Jane died young when my grandmother was about 13-14 yrs of age. I have found a death for an Elizabeth Jane Brown Jun 1919 aged 36 volume 10b pge 469 Morpeth. I have also found a burial record for Elizabeth Jane 11th June 1919 in the Chevington Chruch burial records.

Now here is the problem My grandmothers 2 sisters Elizabeth Ann and Margaret both married and went on to have children, one of which I know had 3 sons and the other had 4 children. I havent found these marriages and children as yet but from what I know from my mother is both sisters had died with the hereditry disease huntingtons chorea. Also I  believe Elizabeth Anns sons inherited the same and 2 of margarets children. I know that Margarets Married name was Cairns.

Some time during the late 1960`s my grandmother was asked questions about her family history which must have been to trace back to see where the gene had originated. My grandmother was able to tell them she remembered as a child her mother was wheelchair bound and was told that her mother had huntingtons also. She told my mam that they had found they couldn`t go any further back through her family because she was adopted. Now my question here is would it be worth obtaining the marriage certificate for elizabeth jane and thomas brown?

I do have a theory here and Its probably a long shot but I think its true she was adopted but possibly by her grandparents.

I found on a census 1891 in Bedlington Elizabeth Jane Mabon born abt 1879 but it says oxford,northumberland now in this census it says daughter of William Mabon born 1831in Grindon, other family members are William 1868 son, Jane 1859 daughter, Barbara 1863 daughter, Robert Lee 1890.

Now again on the 1881 census Elizabeth Jane again but now born in Ancroft. With William who is now her grandfather, his wife elizabeth, jane, William and Barbara.

What I have noticed is that looking at Jane Mabon in the 1901 census living in Bedlington shes now widowed and her name is shown as Jane Cain. I dont know if its the same Jane Mabon married James Cain 1876 reg qr jul-aug-sep morpeth volume 10b 467. Also Robert who on the 1891 census would have been her brother is now her son.

My question is do you think its possible that Jane is Elizabeth Janes mother and that her parents adopted her?

Susan

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have the birth certificate of the Elizabeth you gave as 1889 to 1892? This looks like a possibility:
Elizabeth Jane Mabon, Morpeth Q3 1893 vol 10b page 382

She would be too young to marry in 1901. I think maybe you are mixing people up here. Can we start with the actual facts you have and work back from there.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
You have misinterpreted the information on the marriage record on the GRO index. The four names on the 1901 marriage at Morpeth which you referred to are two couples, not one couple and their witnesses. Based on this record Elizabeth Jane Mabon could have married either Thomas Brown or William Dodds. Thomas Brown could have married either Elizabeth Jane Mabon or Grace Lillico.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
My g grandmother Elizabeth Jane Mabon born 1889-92 married my g grandfather Thomas Brown in 1901 reg district Morpeth  Jan-feb-march qr volume 10b pge 575 witnesses were William Dodds and Grace Lillico.

I cant find them as newlyweds on the 1901 census but have found them on the 1911 census living at 48 Chevington Crescent Acklington in the civil parish east/west chevington bullocks hall. Elizabeth Janes estimated birth year is 1882 and states born in Bedlington and Thomas Brown estimated birth year 1878 born in Broomhill.

From What I have been told from my mam is that Elizabeth Jane died young when my grandmother was about 13-14 yrs of age. I have found a death for an Elizabeth Jane Brown Jun 1919 aged 36 volume 10b pge 469 Morpeth. I have also found a burial record for Elizabeth Jane 11th June 1919 in the Chevington Chruch burial records.
Susan
Perhaps it's a typo but your original mention of Elizabeth's birth year is incorrect. The other data if correct points to a birth year of 1879 - 1882, not 1889 - 92. If she married in 1901 & had a first child in 1902, a  birth year around 1880 is much more likely.
You need, as Craclyn says, to found everything on known facts, this wil probably involve some certificates at £10 each from the GRO. The marriage certificate is essential to find Elizabeth's age at marriage and her father's name and occupation then you can will be able to confirm her on the censuses. Perhaps also get the death certificate of 1919.

Josey

ADDED: Do you have your grandmother's birth and marriage certificates?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry just noticed the dates in title are correct, just typos in OP's first paragraph :-[.

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
I found on a census 1891 in Bedlington Elizabeth Jane Mabon born abt 1879 but it says oxford,northumberland now in this census it says daughter of William Mabon born 1831in Grindon, other family members are William 1868 son, Jane 1859 daughter, Barbara 1863 daughter, Robert Lee 1890.

Now again on the 1881 census Elizabeth Jane again but now born in Ancroft. With William who is now her grandfather, his wife elizabeth, jane, William and Barbara.

Just to say that there is a farm in Northumberland called Oxford http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=400615&Y=646787&A=Y&Z=120
and it's only a mile or so north of Ancroft.

My question is do you think its possible that Jane is Elizabeth Janes mother and that her parents adopted her?

perhaps you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here  :)

As josey and craclyn have advised you, you need to start from what you know and work backwards.
This means getting the marriage certificate and working on the facts you discover from that  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Janes estimated birth year is 1882 and states born in Bedlington

If she was born in Bedlington her birth should have been registered in Morpeth Registration District.

A birth in 'Oxford' or Ancroft,  should have been registered in Berwick Registration District.

I can't seem to find an Elizabeth Mabon born in either Registration District at the appropriate time  :-\

Just for the record, however, there is an Elizabeth Jane Cain, born in Berwick Registration District in the second quarter of 1879. (One to put on the 'back burner' until you get that marriage certificate  :) )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Another for the back burner:
Births Dec 1890
Mabon Robert Morpeth    10b   360    

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Another for the back burner:
Births Dec 1890
Mabon Robert Morpeth    10b   360   

Oh wow thanks Josie. That would add up to as the Mabons were living in Bedlington at the time. I wonder who James Cain was. This has me wondering now where was he after the marriage? why was Jane living with her parents? I have ordered the marriage certificate of Thomas and Elizabeth Jane as I`m intrigued  :)