Author Topic: Salkelds of Newcastle Uk  (Read 4245 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salkelds of Newcastle Uk
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 September 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
as the wife is Margaret Clark, info supported by my family and her first children's descendants' accounts (she was a divorcee nee Wright).

Just wondering where you got this information? Divorce was very expensive at that time and pretty unusual among what we might call 'working people'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 September 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of minor things - hope you don't mind  :)

On the 1861 census he is living at 51 Low Fell Gateshead south, named as Thomas Sarkle (name corrected to Salkeld by a researcher) aged 40 dob est 1821, in Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, a potato merchant with his wife Margaret Clark (nee Wright) and her child.

The number you've quoted (51) is the census schedule number, not a street number.
For anyone wanting to look at this the reference is RG 9 / 3806 / f. 5/ p. 9

On the 1871 census he is still living in Felling but at number 44 -Thomas Salkeld dob est 1818 born Newcastle, Northumberland, a cartman, with wife Margaret and four more children of his own.

He's not in Felling, but in Low Fell - again the number you've quoted is the census schedule number not the house number.
The full reference is RG 10 / 5062 / f. 54 / p. 8

Do please let us know the details from the marriage certificate in particular the name of his father and his occupation as this may help in pinning him down in earlier life.

You may well find a baptism, via the Bishops Transcripts, in Newcastle upon Tyne, but bear in mind that a) he may not have been baptised and b) he may have had a non-conformist baptism.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 September 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
as the wife is Margaret Clark, info supported by my family and her first children's descendants' accounts (she was a divorcee nee Wright).

Just wondering where you got this information? Divorce was very expensive at that time and pretty unusual among what we might call 'working people'.

I see now that this point has been addressed on your concurrent thread on Ancestry
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=11108&p=localities.britisles.england.nbl.general

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Ah I see about street numbers. I'll have to amend some of my comments on Ancestry then. Thanks for putting me right. I'm awaiting the marriage cert from GRO and I will put the details up when I get them - can't wait. I am currently trawling through the old transcripts....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
It's useful if you can give links to other enquiries about the same family, please. It can save us a lot of duplicate searching  :)

As Janis pointed out on your Ancestry thread the North Tyneside Marriage Index search gives the surname of Margaret's father but it does not give a surname for Thomas's father. This, unfortunately, implies that no father's name was given on the marriage certificate, possibly suggesting that Thomas was illegitimate.

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
'It's useful if you can give links to other enquiries about the same family, please. It can save us a lot of duplicate searching  :) '

Um, not quite sure what you mean. On this site I put this query on twice (once on the surnames page and once for Northumberland lookups) but said so at the bottom of my message. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I got notice that one had been moved, so think it's on once now? Do all my messages off other people and my replies not all appear as one long thread? Sorry for appearing thick!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
I meant that you had also got the same enquiry going on an Ancestry Board, not that you had another one on the same topic on Rootschat  :)

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Ok, I see. Still not sure what you mean about giving you the links!!!! Do I just say so on my original message? Or copy the url address into my original message?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 September 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
You could copy the url - but I have already done so in my earlier reply!
It does save time if you can do this - quite often we spend ages looking for someone, only to discover that searches have been duplicated on another thread either on Rootschat or another family history site.