Author Topic: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?  (Read 14163 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I started researching my ancestors when I was in college.  I've stopped and started through the years, as time permits.  I've been consistently researching since the purchase of our first computer.

Due to help I received this week with my Parker and Cooper ancestors, this morning I took another look at my Vaus ancestor's will.  (I had hit numerous brickwalls in the past and gave up searching for my Vaus ancestors.)  I was told by relatives that our ancestor, William Vaux, was born in France and lived for a short time in England before settling in Canada.  They were incorrect about the time frame.

According to records I've obtained:
William Vous married Bettie/Betty Francis in 1748 in Itchingfield.
William Vaus was a church warden for St. Mary the Virgin in Shipley in 1756.  He may have been a church warden during other years as well.
William Vaus/Vaux and Bettie/Betty had at least four children: John, William, Thomas, Elizabeth.
William Vaus died in 1796 (in Horsham, I believe).
Bettie/Betty died in 1797, Shipley.  We believe Bettie was born in 1727.  We have additional information about her.

From the 1796 will of William Vaus
Mr. Vaus left his three sons and daughter property and money.  He equally divided among the children "remainder of my corn cattle husbandry tarble(?) and shark(?) in trade..."
He also referenced:
"...and all appurtenant tenements belonging(?) situate lying and being at Monks(?) Gate in the parish of Nuthurst and now in the ? or occupation of Tho. Halloway..."

William had additional property in
Brook's Green parish of Shipley in the tenure? or occupation of Tho Tullet(?)
Parish of Shipley in the tenure? or occupation of Thomas Baron

Found a few minutes ago:
Martha Vaus married Thomas Holloway 22 Feb 1757, Nuthurst
Rose Vaus married William Turner 21 Apr 1757 Nuthurst

Christening
William Naice or Vais.  27 Aug 1718, Nuthurst.  Father John Naice or Vais.  Mother Elizabeth.
Roas Voice or Naice.  2 Apr 1724, Nuthurst.  Father John Voice or Naice.  Mother Elizabeth.
Martha Voice or Naice.  16 Jun 1725, Nuthurst.  Father John Voice or Naice.  Mother Elizabeth.

Is it just wishful thinking - coincidental, or could my William Vaus actually be the son of John and Elizabeth?  Opinions greatly appreciated.  Thank you for reading this long post.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Looks good to me Lisa, Shipley is within walking distance of Nuthurst (5 miles or so).  Dates seem to be ok also.  We all know how the spelling of surnames can be distorted within the same family...

I would put a note against the family saying something on the lines of "Best match for names, dates and location' if you're still unsure.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 February 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suey:

Sorry it took so long to reply; my computer crashed, yet again.

Good idea about the note; I will be sure to add one.

I will continue to search around for more information about these people.  Thank you for your thoughts; it is appreciated.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Additional information found tonight:
John Vause married Elizabeth "Sheffeild" 7 Jan 1710, Slaugham, Sussex.
According to information I received a few years ago, this couple was of Nuthurst, Sussex at the time of their marriage.

Possibly the children of the above couple?  Baptisms:
Elizabeth Nave, 5 Oct 1712, Nuthurst.  Parents John Nave and Elizabeth
Mary Nave, 5 Oct 1712, Nuthurst.  Parents John Nave and Elizabeth
Rose Naice, 17 May 1714.  Nuthurst.  Father John Naice
John Naice, 28 Dec 1715, Nuthurst.  Parents John Naice and Elizabeth
William Naice or Vais, 27 Aug 1718, Nuthurst.  Father John Naice or Vais
Hannah Naice, 2 Feb 1720, Nuthurst.  Parents John Naice and Elizabeth
Ann Naice, 6 May 1722, Nuthurst.  Parents John Naice and Elizabeth
Roas Voice or Naice, 2 Apr 1724, Nuthurst.  Parents John Voice or Naice and Elizabeth
Martha Voice or Naice, 16 Jun 1725, Nuthurst.  Parents John Voice or Naice and Elizabeth

Possibility for Elizabeth, the mother:
Elizabeth Sheffield, baptised 16 Jan 1684, Cuckfield, Sussex.  Parents William and Mary

Still nothing that proves these people were my ancestors.   :-\

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 February 14 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lisa  :)
Just adding to your information from the Sussex Marriage Index (SMI)

Martha Vaus to Thomas Holloway.  He was a husbandman & they were both of this parish (botp) marriage was by banns (b)

Rose Vaus to William Turner.  He was a carpenter & botp.  Marriage by banns.

William Vaus to Elizabeth Francis.  botp.

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 February 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
John Vaus to Elizabeth Sheffield.  He was from Nuthurst.  Elizabeth was a spinster & 'of the same parish' (which I take to mean she was also from Nuthurst)  Marriage was by licence,

Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 February 14 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Re William Vaus died 1796.  Lisa, does it say on his will, 'of Horsham'?  Just been looking for his burial on Horsham pr's without much luck.  Have you a date for when it was proved?

He equally divided among the children "remainder of my corn cattle husbandry tarble(?) and shark(?) in trade..."   At a guess I would say that reads, 'and STOCK in trade'.

Jane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 February 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane:

I had renewed interest in the Vaus line after I received your help and help from the others.   :)

I looked at some of my notes after my last post and I believe William Vaus died in Shipley.  I have a photocopied image of a burial page that includes "Betty Vaus Widow 31 Mar 1797".  At the bottom of the page is Fillary P. Clerk.  At that time, we were not able to find a burial for William Vaus.

From the will:
"William Vaus of the parish of Shipley in the County of Sussex Yeoman.."
The will was signed on the fourth(?) day of Aug(?) 1788.  Mary Turner? made her mark.  I suppose it's a stamp mark, but under a dark circle on the page is Belcham__ Fillary? (it was possibly his signature as the writing is different than other writing on the page).
The page is difficult to read but it looks like:
"This will was proved? by virtue? of a special? commission? before M. William Ja______? clerk surrogate on the 9th? day of April in the year of our lord 1796..."

"Stock in trade" makes sense but the writing is closer to shark than stock.   ;D  The man had small but precise writing otherwise.   ;)

Regarding the SMI:
Thank you so much for the additional information!
From England Select Marriages: William Vous married Betty Francis 16 March 1748, Itchingfield.
From SMI:  William Vaus to Elizabeth Francis.  May I ask if they were of Nuthurst or Itchingfield, please?  (Apologies for my confusion)

John Vaus to Elizabeth Sheffield - thank you for finding it!

It is incredible to think that I might actually be able to go back another generation with my Vaus ancestors.  I think I still need to find more facts before I can be sure that John Vaus and Elizabeth Sheffield were William Vaus' parents.   :-\

I really appreciate the help I have received.  Out of all of my ancestors, this line is my second favourite.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 February 14 13:10 GMT (UK) »
According to (my) old records, William Vaus was buried on 8 February 1796 in Shipley.