Author Topic: William Moss, Loughborough  (Read 23277 times)

Offline pricewynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Moss, Loughborough
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hallo

My grandad was Ralph Davis. He worked for Mosses as a site agent but was also a family friend of the Mosses. Nik Moss was godfather to my uncle. I wonder if it is the same Nik Moss. He had one son and two stepdaughters, Naomi and Bryony (with whom my mum played as a child). We have a photo of Nik on site with my grandad. My grandad trained Nik when he left the army after the war. My mum was very excited to see your post but couldn't reply.

We would be very interested in any information about Wiliam Mosses. My grandad worked for them for 50 years until he retired in the '60s.

It would be lovely to hear from you.

Rachael

Offline Sharpey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am trying to trace Moss relations. Charles Moss a descendant of William Moss of William Moss & Sons builders, born Loughborough c1869, married my relation Mabel Agnes Black in 1903 at Barrow on Soar. They had one child Frank Henry Moss born 1904 in Loughborough.

I am wondering if you have heard of Frank, and if so, did he marry and have a family?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sharpe
Black
Warner
Bailey

Offline jgdc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 July 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Willmoss

Rather a late response to your posting, I'm afraid, but I would be very interested in more info on the history of the Moss company/ies in the Loughborough area.  This is my first post on the site, so I'm not sure if I am eligible to contact you privately.  Please let me know, on this site, how you would like to handle my request.  Perhaps others would also be interested in the info you have, and so posting a summary of it would be appropriate here.  Over to you to decide!

Best wishes
John

Hello

I have just chanced on this site by accident as my name came up. I am William George Moss (b.1957) son of Nicholas Charles Moss (b. 1912, d. 1999). My father was the last chairman of William Moss & Sons before it was bought out by Frech Kier in the late 1980's. Dad worked for Wm.Moss for 51 years and started work digging trenches for bricklayers even though his Uncles (Charles and  Alan Moss) were joint Chariman. Dad once told me that I was the great-great-great-great-grandson of the original founder -I have never checked this out so can't vouch for it. I have other info on william Moss & Sons Mosses if anyone is interested

Offline jgdc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 July 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharpey
I have looked for all deaths of either Frank H or Frank Henry Moss, for someone born in 1904.  The only one I can find that fits is:

Frank Henry Moss   b. 1904   d. 1982   Stevenage   Herts

That doesn't tell you anything about his marriage, of course, but perhaps searching phone books, trade/street directories or possibly finding an obit. in a local paper might help.  Sometimes local papers have a "Looking Back" section, and posting a question in the local rag: "Does anyone remember Frank Henry Moss?" is another possibility.

Hope that helps
John

Hello. I am trying to trace Moss relations. Charles Moss a descendant of William Moss of William Moss & Sons builders, born Loughborough c1869, married my relation Mabel Agnes Black in 1903 at Barrow on Soar. They had one child Frank Henry Moss born 1904 in Loughborough.

I am wondering if you have heard of Frank, and if so, did he marry and have a family?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Sharpey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for the info. I too am interested in the Moss family regarding their building companies. I believe the have built some of my family homes in Sileby and have a strong connection to the Black building company of Barrow on Soar which then went on to be Black & Drivers.

I am happy to be contacted by email should you want to share information. How do we go about this?

Sharpey

Sharpe
Black
Warner
Bailey

Offline willmoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Rachel

Sorry to have been so late in responding but I can confirm that the Nick Moss who was my Father also has two stepdaughters (as you correctly say Naomi and Bryony - last name Cooper) as well as one son, me. Nao and Bry are now 65 and 70 but if you can tell me your Mother's name I will pass it onto them to see if they remember.

I have to say that I find this site rather difficult to use so why don't you reply to my email address - will-moss@hotmail.co.uk

Will

Hallo

My grandad was Ralph Davis. He worked for Mosses as a site agent but was also a family friend of the Mosses. Nik Moss was godfather to my uncle. I wonder if it is the same Nik Moss. He had one son and two stepdaughters, Naomi and Bryony (with whom my mum played as a child). We have a photo of Nik on site with my grandad. My grandad trained Nik when he left the army after the war. My mum was very excited to see your post but couldn't reply.

We would be very interested in any information about Wiliam Mosses. My grandad worked for them for 50 years until he retired in the '60s.

It would be lovely to hear from you.

Rachael
:P

Offline jill w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
hi all, this is a bit of a long shot as I know this is an old post, I have been on here before trying to search for a Florence moss b 1888 Loughborough  her parents were francis moss and charlotte barnes Florence married in 1909 to Alfred bullock and had a son however shortly after the 1912 census she disappeared leaving her child behind :( any info would be truly appreciated x :) x

kind regards
jill xx

Offline Telmoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Jill,
Just came across your inquiry about Florence Moss.
Unfortunately I do not have the answer to the particular problem of her missing but I would be interested in any information you might have about her. I am directly descended from the Loughborough Moss family and do have a lot of information on them I would like to see if this mystery can be solved.

Regards
Terry Moss

Offline peter-plehov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I hope you don't mind me being on here? I used to work at William Moss Ltd then Moss Construction Ltd when they changed name, up and till they were bought out by French Kier, and we were made redundant. I used to work in the plant department from 1970 through to being made redundant in Dec' 1985. I have in my possession a book of the works the company carried out in the early days, still in its box, read about 5 - 6 times i guess!!!! If any one is interested in it please let me know please. regards Peter.