Author Topic: 1861 Census for Breedon on the Hill  (Read 6643 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census for Breedon on the Hill
« on: Monday 07 January 13 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find a family of Cowlishaw's living in Breedon on the Hill between 1855 and 1870. The 1861 Census on 'Ancestry' appears to be missing one of the two volumes. Volume 8d begins by describing the contents as 'Part of the Parish of Breedon' and ends with the line 'The end of the 1st part of the parish of Breedon'.
Does anyone know if the second part is lost forever or if they have just missed uploading this record?
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census for Breedon on the Hill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s & Welcome to the Leicestershire Boards ………

The Brand
Breedon on the Hill
Ref RG9 / 2489 / 135 / Page 8. District. 9c.

Steven D Cowlishaw 37
Ann Sister in Law . 33
William George  Neph.. 10
Annie  Niece  8
James Neph. 7
James Neph. 6

RG 9. / 2489 / 132 / Page 2. District 9c.
Tongue
Annie Cowlishaw 33. Farmers Daughter

MIKE. ………
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Breedon Prs available at Loughborough library - if needed please ask.  (not Tonge)

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Lestisherlvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have 28 Cowlishaws in Breedon in my data base.  10 of them are 1850 on to 1906. Parents are James and Ann. 

Offline sue young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
The  info given you is slightly inaccurate, S D Cowlishaw is  not Steven but Skevington Dickenson Cowlishaw,  His family moved to Basford in Stoke on Trent and he was a prominent industrialist. He was my great grandfather and I have large amounts of information and photos etc of him and his ancesters if they are of help to you please contact

Offline julie64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gt-gt-grandmother Elizabeth Nelson 1847- 1936
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I have in my partner's tree John Cowlishaw (1788-1849) who I believe was Skevington Dickinson Cowlishaw's oldest brother. I know he married somebody called Elizabeth but I have had no luck in tracing a marriage, and therefore, the surname of Elizabeth. As you have said that you have researched the family I was wondering if you had any details you would be willing to share regarding the parents and other siblings?

I am also curious to know why Skevington was given such an unusual name when all the other children in the family had traditional names - have you any idea?

Kindest Regards

Julie
WHERE ARE YOU BEFORE 1851 TAMAR LITTLER?!

Staffs (Audley) Shrops (Market Drayton) Lancs(Golborne, Ashton in Makerfield) Oxfordshire (Banbury, Neithrop, Gt Tew, Witney) Monmouthshire (Abergavenny)

Lancs/Ireland: Armstrong Aspinall Billingham Burchall Burke Doyle Littler Wareing
Ox: Brookes Nelson Pinfold Riley
Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire: Beeston Bull Durber Gater Massey Walker
Abergavenny:  Cobner Williams

Any census information in this post is Crown Copyright  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid I only have the name Elizabeth as a wife of John Cowlishaw. I have a lot of information relating to the Cowlishaws of Breedon on the Hill. John Cowlishaw (1788-1849) he was 2nd cousin 2 removed of my great grandfather who was at least 3rd generation born in Breedon.If yu email me at sueyoung29@googlemail.com i will forward pics etc if you wish, alternatively do you use ancestry ? if so i will open my tree for you.
The answer to your question about the name Skevington is easier.I have 7 Skevington Dickenson Cowlishaws in my tree the most recent being my grand father. It stems from the old tradition of usually the eldest son and daughter having the mothers maiden name as a middle name. I am lucky enough to have access to te Skevington family bible dated 1699 to confirm the details
The name Skevington Dickenson Cowlishaw recurs throughout generations of the Cowlishaw family, the first to carry the name  being Skevington Dickenson Cowlishaw known as “ Old Skevy” in 1753 .
The name appears to derive from the practice of the children of a marriage taking their mothers maiden name as a Christian name.
On 24th August 1698 John Dickenson, of Ashby de la Zouche, married Elizabeth Skevington. The eldest son of this marriage being named Skevington Dickenson. 
Skevington’s elder sister Sarah married John Cowlishaw, of Shardlow, it was their Grandson who it appears  first carried the name
I have further information if it is of interest including images of the Bible pages giving births marriages and deaths

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 16 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm so pleased that this thread has opened up again. I have the parents of John Cowlishaw (1788-1849) & Skevington Dickenson Cowlishaw (1797-1872) as James & Ann (nee Brammer). I have only been able to make a very tenuous connection from James to his grandparents John Cowlishaw & Sarah Dickenson. Do either of you have a record of the parents of James and how he came to be in Blyth, Notts when he married Ann Brammer in Barlborough?

Andy Cowlishaw
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline julie64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gt-gt-grandmother Elizabeth Nelson 1847- 1936
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 March 16 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sue for your prompt reply.

I do use the Ancestry website (frequently) and would be pleased to see your tree on there. My user name is JulieAA64 - I will try and find your tree and send you a request.

Kindest Regards

Julie

PS. I can't seem to find your tree on Ancestry so I'll email you my details.
J.

WHERE ARE YOU BEFORE 1851 TAMAR LITTLER?!

Staffs (Audley) Shrops (Market Drayton) Lancs(Golborne, Ashton in Makerfield) Oxfordshire (Banbury, Neithrop, Gt Tew, Witney) Monmouthshire (Abergavenny)

Lancs/Ireland: Armstrong Aspinall Billingham Burchall Burke Doyle Littler Wareing
Ox: Brookes Nelson Pinfold Riley
Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire: Beeston Bull Durber Gater Massey Walker
Abergavenny:  Cobner Williams

Any census information in this post is Crown Copyright  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk