Author Topic: Marriage look up Merchant to Brewin.  (Read 32732 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up Merchant to Brewin.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 August 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
1891 ages wrong, what do you think?

RG12/23/24/44

St Katherines Road, Kensington, London, England

M Murphy Head Married 51 Mariner America    
Ellen Murphy Wife Married 44 Yorkshire    
Frederick Murphy Son Male 12 1879 London
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 August 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Willsy... :D

Crikey.... you have been amazing! - will have a look at the 1891 tomorrow.

So pleased Sal1525 has found the thread it might help her get a bit further.

Here is another bit to the puzzle....

Births Jun 1860   
MERCHANT  John -  Northampton  3b 55

1861 - Piece 2589 /Folio 50 /Page 25 = 64, George Street, Altrincham, Cheshire (Lodging House)
John Merchant Lodger Married 34 - Optician - born London, Middlesex.
Ellen Merchant, Lodger, Married, aged 29 - Opticians Wife, born Yorkshire.
John Merchant Lodger - 0 1861 -  Opticians Son, born  Northampton.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 August 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
I'll stop 1861 then, I couldn't leave it alone!

I think you cracked it with Benjamin!
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 August 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
I remember why I didn't mention a John in Leicester, he is c 1850. What I am not sure of is, who is this chap?

Welford Road CA   729
MARCHANT   JOHN    1865    DEC   10   
Age 39   LEICESTER LUNATIC ASYLUM   SAINT MARY   

Hi everyone,
This is all very exciting, couldn`t wait to start catching up with your thread. John Merchant and his Wife Ellen have been elusive for so long now I had almost given up finding out what happened to them both until I found this post. I almost don`t know where to start but I shall begin with John Merchant/Marchant.

Following on from Willsy`s find about a John Marchant in the Asylum ----where did you find that piece of info` Willsy, please? I have found a newspaper article about an annual report about the Leicester Gaol which may be connected to the one that you have found;
The Chronicle & Mercury United, Sat 22 Oct 1864. Leicester Michaelmas Sessions;
"J. Marchant removed to the Leicester Lunatic Asylum 14 Sep 1864 for reasons of insanity. Insane upon admission".

I then found this John`s death GRO thanks to the volunteers here and ordered the death cert;
John Marchant OND 1865 Leicester. Vol-7A Pge-153

Hopefully it is the right one and if not we may learn of what happened to this John. So this John was in prison in 1864-I wonder what for? I will try to find the Criminal record.
Ellen & John`s kids Betsy & John were born 1860 & 1862 so he has gone to prison between 1862-1864 which may well apply to my John because he disappeared from 1862. If it is him then it would make sense as to where he went and the further struggles that Ellen appears to have suffered.

Betsy`s bigamous marriage; Elizabeth Merchant-Barnes to Edwin Arnold. 17 May 1899 Chatham Registry Office. She stated that her Father was John Merchant-Barnes an Upholsterer.

I do not believe that he was at this wedding nor aware that changes had been made to his surname. She changed that name quite deliberately because she knew she was committing bigamy.
This year I came to the conclusion that firstly, the name Merchant-Barnes was bogus -and secondly that this marriage was a bigamous one as she was still married to Robert Welsh.

Dr Barnado`s 1906 report stated that they thought Robert was living in Maidstone, Kent--Betsy had said on the 7 Feb 1890, when placing their 2 Sons Robert & John into Care that Robert had died in the Leic Infirmary--Mike on the Leic boards was able to prove that this was untrue because there was no record of a Robert Welsh dying up to 1890 there.
Furthermore and more importantly when Robert & Betsy`s Daughter Ellen married, 3 times, 1897 & 1904 she stated that her Father was alive but when she married 1923 she then stated that her Father Robert Welsh was deceased.
It is possible that Ellen made up the details about her Father but 3 times in a row, doubtful?
Elizabeth Merchant had to create stories about her circumstances in order to keep placing her children into Care---she lied. She married as a bigamist changing the surname to avoid detection.

She was born and christened Betsy/Elizabeth Merchant in 1862 and now you have shown that she and her Brother John were also re-christened with the name of Barnes one day after the Trial in regards to Thomas Barnes-1865.
Could this have been done because John was in prison and had become insane and she felt that she had no future with him? The evidence that Thomas gave touched upon Ellen`s affair with John and those two having had kids together--maybe had them baptised again for a sense of public decency with such a public Trial about her marriage? Surely, not to try and get back together with Thomas.

Through you fabulous volunteers here you have now demonstrated where the name Barnes comes from-well done. I am off to look for John in the Criminal records and newspapers.

Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just found a newspaper article which may also apply to the John Marchant in Leicester asylum?

Nottinghamshire Guardian. Fri 21 Oct 1864. Crown Court Leicester;

"John Marchant, 38y, a Cabinet Maker was charged with stealing 3 each knives, forks & teaspoons; 1 pair of sugar nippers; 1 padlock & key and 1 bell-metal kettle, value 8 s. The property of Samuel Musson at Claybrook Magna on the 18 Aug 1864. He was proved to be insane and his recognizances was discharged."

Looks like it is the same John-what do you think?  Cabinet maker would fit with one of my John`s  occupations as an Upholsterer but this case seems to have been dismissed-so picked up for something else?
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 August 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
I wondered about that one too!

There is a cemetery in Leicester called Welford Road, apologies if you know the area

http://www.fowrcl.org.uk/

but as I have 'bits' to hand, was able to find a burial there for John.

Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Willsy.

Thank you for the link and the heads up with John Marchant, he is looking like a good possibility but we will know for sure once the death cert; arrives and at the very least I will be able to eliminate him from further searches. 
Poor Ellen having married, had and lost one child, separated, tried to obtain financial maintenance and been refused, gave birth to 2 more kids and her new partner had disappeared or gone to prison, possibly gone insane and died in 1865--then you find out your Husband has gone and married someone else and the subsequent Court case for bigamy that followed, in many newspapers-`for all the World to read about` she must have been at the end of her tether and angry.
But, then she goes and re-christens the kids with the Husbands name? Maybe to try and save her reputation & the kids in the community? Great work for finding the newspaper articles.

I have been on the Ancestry website today and searched for her baptism record in all of the parish records except London, allowing many different name spellings and have nothing to report back there. I am sure some of you have been searching for the same parish records but I had to sate my own curiosity. I wonder if the name Glover was added at a later date perhaps? Maybe not as other siblings have Glover included in their names.

This Ellen Glover Brewin and Thomas Barnes is too much of a coincidence to not be correct and the connection with Royal East Street and the other Brewins has got to be from the same family surely, Perhaps when Ellen had a relationship with John Merchant they lodged with the other Brewin family members? I searched through the entire 1861 census that you found for Benjamin & Susanna Brewin/Matlock and found no Ellen or John Merchant anywhere where did they go? Maybe they did not live together.

With all of the volunteers findings I can now conclude, finally that Ellen did not marry John Merchant-thank you for that.

Ok, I am now going to reread this thread and catch up with her relationships that you have all found--amazing stuff.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Here's the other bigamous marriage for Thomas, just adds a bit for you around the newspaper report

1864   07-Nov   St John the Divine
BARNES   Thomas   
TAYLOR   Emma

and I think Dizzifish is spot on

1861 - Piece 2589 /Folio 50 /Page 25 = 64, George Street, Altrincham, Cheshire (Lodging House)
John Merchant Lodger Married 34 - Optician - born London, Middlesex.
Ellen Merchant, Lodger, Married, aged 29 - Opticians Wife, born Yorkshire.
John Merchant Lodger - 0 1861 -  Opticians Son, born  Northampton.

but it doesn't make 1851 any easier!
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 August 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry overlooked that Ellen Barnes burial

Welford Road in the grave
O   1184   F   
BARNES    ELLEN   1908   OCT   12   75   9 SUSSEX STREET   LEICESTER   51383   

BARNES    MARTHA CLARKE   1915    NOV   17   71   9 SUSSEX STREET   LEICESTER   55661   

BARNES   JOHN   1924   JUN   25   86   NORTH EVINGTON   LEICESTER   61000   [INFIRMARY?]

BARNES   HARRY   1927   JAN   6   52   N.E.I. / 7 SUSSEX STREET   LEICESTER   62109   [NORTH EVINGTON INFIRMARY]

probate mentions Agnes Barnes sp and Elizabeth Jane Bramley wid

sorry to add while you are digesting
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire