Author Topic: Great War Stories Ibstock Area  (Read 5666 times)

Offline VicInIbstock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great War Stories Ibstock Area
« on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Folks

I've just finished my first book detailing all the Great War Casualties from the villages of Bagworth, Ellistown, Heather, Ibstock, Nailstone, Newton Burgoland, Normanton-le-Heath, Odstone, Snarestone and Swepstone. So now I'm planning my next literary venture and looking for stories of the men from these villages that came back from the fighting - the lives, jobs and families they came back to or started.

The proceeds of the last book are being split between the Royal British Legion and Help for Heroes and no doubt this next one will follow the same route.

Any contributions will of course be credited.
Regards
Cooper, Elliott, Roberts & Rose (Leicestershire)
Vicars (Buckinghamshire)
Vickers & Keen (Oxfordshire)
Robinson & Walker (Durham & Northumberland)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Stories Ibstock Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)HI
Iam Danone
im doing my mothers family history of markfield and bagworth  ellistown  and bit of ibstock  my uncles brother was in the army in the second world war  he was dropped into armem holland he was a paratrooper and sargent he was caught by the Germans but was brought back in 1945 by the allied forces .his name was J.c oxford  he lived in broad lane markfield .can have a look if ther may be any thing in your book on the oxfords family please .as his brotherwhent into the waralso leonard oxford 1898 ellistown his after was willam oxford  preacher.len was in the leicestershire re regiment
thanks
Danone

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)my mothers family is Cooper markfield we are trying to piece together the coopers of heather to markfield we think we have found a piece but still need to see if its still there  a freind who is related as said there was but it was a long time  ago ,i have found the geary family from here  to the grewcock family from heather to my family .so if there is any famils in your book that may help it would be a start and finish  to this .
thanks .

also my grans freinds lived out in nailstone but have since passedaway they were slater  they lived in the cottages that faced the church their garden backed on to it .if you have any of these it would be great .
Thanks
again
Danone

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)
just found the other bit to J.c oxford from my file his wife was caroline dilks  .while he was away fighting his wife had taken him to court for desertion,  leaving her with three children .he just wanted to fight for king and country  i dont have the out come would have loved to found out how it ended  she came from thornton leicestershire .they owned the plough pub  near markfield church  st micheals al angels .
Danone

Offline VicInIbstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Danone

PM your email address and I'll get some names from you. The book on WW1 casualties has two Coopers from Ibstock - my Great Uncle and his cousin, a Grewcock from Heather and two from Normanton-le-Heath.

The Historical Society are putting together a database of the chaps who served in the Great War and it has 10 Coopers from Heather and Ibstock, two more Heather Grewcock's plus two Oxford brothers from Ellistown.
Cooper, Elliott, Roberts & Rose (Leicestershire)
Vicars (Buckinghamshire)
Vickers & Keen (Oxfordshire)
Robinson & Walker (Durham & Northumberland)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :) :)
Hi its Danone.

thanks for that .
the Grewcock family are from my side as well to the the Geary family to mums Cooper side also the oxfords brothers ,from Ellistown  and the Coopers from Heather .are my connetion .as well it would be great to see these .cant belive thereare names from your book .the Oxfords started the Ellistown Chricket team as well St Christophers ,.i have a big photo of one of them in his regiment which i think is the leicester tigers .standing out side a big church or some where but it doesnt say were iwould love some to come and have a look at it for me  and to tell me where it is .my uncle len oxford his family were from Bagworth  there is still one margerat  oxford alive but her daughter wasnt very welcoming .i have a photo of my uncle with  his wife ,Evelyn Cooper  she was born markfield 1904 father Joseph Cooper born 1838 markfield blacksmith his wife was Mary Ellen Cooper <massey > born Ashby road markfield.my mum was born Linda Cooper born 1941 markfield lane markfield her father was Ernest cooper born Ashby Road markfield  1907 same father as Evelyn Cooper ,and same mother .i have also the blacksmiths song .to go with the family history ,the St christophers chricket team i have a photo of them as well. my uncle Len oxford his father was William oxford .he was a preacher at Ellistown chapel.he was a pigeon racer at the Red House in  Coalville which is the Steam packet at the Clock tower they held the races there i have a photo of that also .
thanks
Danone

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Danone again just below your message you sent me there are some names  cooper and Elliott
the elliott  side came from whitwick john elliott married alice cooper  in 1858 markfield  alice was the dau of charles cooper born Barlestone  leicestershire in 1800 ,his father was Thomas cooper mother mary cooper they lived at stoney lane farm markfield .charles amrried a Elizabeth geary in 1830 28th day of November in thornton leicestershire  herfather was john geary  born Stanton under bardon .her mother was  Alice Geary <frost> . she was born here in Markfield lane .her father was William frost  steward of Bradgate park House .he was in charge  of all of what was brought in for the Lady jane Greys family .i have all the books that told me albout my family history .one book tells of my aunt amy coopers nephew  Hugh Anderson her husbands  side  he married into the harrison tribe Newtown linford  so that is that side as well the book is called the memories of Newtown linford if you can get that turn to page four  and you will find my family tree in it .the other book is called breakfast at bradgate park house .its By D.A Ramsey.
Danone

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 August 14 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Danone....You need to remove your email address as it is against Rootschat policy due to spamming and internet abuse.... You can request that people send you a Personal Message and you can then exchange details.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 August 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Danone again
I had forgotten some thing my mums fathers sister mary cooper was her maiden name she whent to ibstock to live but i hadnt met her so wouldnt  know what her married name is .i have tryed to find her on another site .im on leicestershirevillages..with out any one coming back to me on it .
also there is aAnn cooper  again i dont know what her married name  would be .mary would know my grandad has ernie cooper .
Danone