Author Topic: Burial  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Bab5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial
« on: Wednesday 04 June 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if anyone could help. I am looking for the burial place for William Woodhouse c1570-buried on 27th January 1626 at Holmesfield, Dronfield, Derbyshire I have looked at Holmesfield Church and also Dronfield Church and the grave stones do nod seem to go back that far. Has anyone any ideas where he could be buried Thanks Dave Woodhouse
Craddock
Pashley
Woodhouse
Dawson
Cambell from Winterton Lincolnshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Familysearch gives the burial as C of E - Parish Church of Dronfield, Chapelry of Holmesfield, on film number 1041034  so I would expect him to be buried there. 

A lot of people around this time would not have been able to afford a gravestone
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bab5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information hoped there might be a stone as I do not have a marriage (wife) or parents Would there still be records as to who is in the same grave Thanks again Dave
Craddock
Pashley
Woodhouse
Dawson

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Unless he was a person of particular standing or wealth, he would not have had a family plot.

Depending on how large the parish was, he was most probably buried in the next available plot. Being Janaury the earth would have been cold & hard so they most probably dug wherever was easiest.

You would have to go throught he parish registers to see if any likely family members are also buried there.

It's worth noting that entries on familysearch do not always have all the information from the registers so it is definitely worth looking at the originals or a microfilm of the originals, not just relying on their transcription.

Local family history societies transcribe all the information from registers when they do their publictions.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Bab5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you I will try and find out who the local society is I know it's not Sheffield Thanks again Dave
Craddock
Pashley
Woodhouse
Dawson