Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland  (Read 45111 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BIRMINGHAM/BERMINGHAM and CORLESS in Tuam Co.Galway
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Children of Peter Birmingham and Bridget Corless listed in IGI (www.familysearch.org):
1. Mary born 27 Sept.1865 Tuam district
2. John born 30 Aug.1868 Tuam district
3. Catherine born 2 Sept.1870 Co. Galway
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 February 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that Info...I am trying to establish when they came to England, I did found them on the 1901 English Census,but not to sure what year they came here!
Also if anybody can help with where the name Birmingham/Bermingham derived from and any info on whom Peter Birmingham's & Bridget Corless Parents where or even thei date of births would be great?
Hodgkiss77

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 February 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began in 1864 so for earlier dates you need to search for church records (if they exist).

Griffith's Valuation lists only a few Birminghams in Co. Galway but far more Berminghams:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
births.  MARY 27-9-1865. JOHN 30-8-1868. CATHERINE 2-9-1870. BORN TUAM, GALWAY.

parents. PETER BIRMINGHAM & BRIDGET CORLESS.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Please continue posting on one thread rather than starting a new topic looking for same family. Have just merged the two Birmingham topics to avoid any more confusion and duplication.

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 February 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh ty i am ever so sorry abt that, I am new to this site and had not reaslised that i had posted 2 message's abt the BERMINGHAM'S!
Thank you for merging them into one for me and, for all the help and, links to websites! I have not had much luck tho on the family search website-Maybe i am doing something wrong?!

I appreciate anymore help anybody?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that Info...I am trying to establish when they came to England, I did found them on the 1901 English Census,but not to sure what year they came here!
Also if anybody can help with where the name Birmingham/Bermingham derived from and any info on whom Peter Birmingham's & Bridget Corless Parents where or even thei date of births would be great?
Hodgkiss77

Bermingham seems to be a name with many connections in Tuam

Bermingham House - "2mi/3km east of Tuam stands Bermingham House (1730), with good plasterwork and fine furniture. Hobbies & Activities category: Decorative arts display;  Furniture display;  Manor or country house" (http://www.planetware.com/tuam/bermingham-house-irl-ga-berh.htm & http://www.galwayhorse.com/berhse.html )

This was for sale recently - at just € 3.5 million! (http://www.sherryfitz.ie/resi/buy/propertydetail.aspx?id=262889&ST=1&pc=1)

1824 (Pigots)

Edward Birmingham , esq. Lack
 Michl. Birmingham,  Dalgan
 Thos. Birmingham,  esq. Ash-grove

1846 (Slaters)

Entry for Dunmore, Co. Galway (close to Tuam)  includes the following : ".... The church forms a portion of the ancient monastery, said to have been founded by the Berminghams, barons of Athenry. There is also a chapel for Roman Catholics. Bermingham Castle, a beautiful ruin, once the seat of that ancient family, is in the neighbourhood"

Enrtry for Atherny, Co. Galway includes : "The ruin of a Dominican abbey here, from its antiquity and style of architecture, is the admiration of all strangers. It was founded by Myler De Bermingham, second baron of Athenry, in 1241, and was dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. ...."

De Bermingham seems to have been a Norman name. There's no way to be certain at this stage that these Bermingham/Birmingham people are connected - but it shows that the name was present in and around Tuam for quite a while.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for the Info...What a beautiful House the Berminghma House is! I wondered if anybody knows of the place 'AGLORAGH' Tuam-Co.Galway this semsto be the place my Great Grandmother MARY BERMINGHAM was born in 1865.
Any info would be of great help, I have googled teh place and it has come up with this..........
Agloragh,In the South End of the Parish,Barony of Dunmore-Bounded on the South-East and West by the Parish of Killererin and o the North by the Monument Park and Cool Park.

Please reply witht any info??
Thank you

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 July 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
The Birmingham family came from Birmingham city and arrived in Ireland with the norman invasion in 1269. The first famous Birmingham was Piers de Birmingham whose lineage can be traced in the peerage. The Birminghams settled in Galway and Kildare and Louth. The were known as Lord Louth and Baron of Athenry (Galway). The Birmingham family name is rare enough but there are a few families in Galway. The town of Dunmore  8 miles from Tuam was their last remaining stronghold and is where the family name fell into the use of "commoners" or in common usage as we would say. I have a little more info if you are interested.
Galwayreader