Author Topic: JAMES McCONVILLE (c. 1810 - c. 1870)  (Read 12178 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMES McCONVILLE (c. 1810 - c. 1870)
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
My wife's gg grandfather, James McConville,  was born possibly around Tullylish and was known to be living at Ballynagarrick in 1869. (year of daughter's wedding).  7 of his children all migrated to Australia (and lived and died there) and 1 (Patrick McConville) remained in Ireland.
I am trying to assist my wife (with not much luck at this stage!) to identify her ancestral line back in Ireland.
I have found via IGI search the following deaths:
James McConville b:1797; d: 1871 Newry
    "            "         b: 1805;d: 1871 Banbridge
These are the closest deaths to Ballynagarrick that I have been able to locate.
I am  struggling with this research and I am wondering if there is some kind rootschatter out there who can advise where to go from here.  (eg headstone inscriptions etc..)
Thank you,   Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES McCONVILLE (c. 1810 - c. 1870)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
Irish marriage certificates list residence of bride and groom at the time of the marriage but may not be where their parents were living.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
The daughter was married in Australia and the notice in the local paper here described her father as living in Ballynagarrick, Ireland.
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
do you know his wifes name?
jim

UHF have a record for a Patrick McConville,father James,born 1842 in county down,
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
Wife's name is Jane.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is UHF?
Bill

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There are several McConville families living in Ballynagarrick Lower, Parish of Tullylish, listed in The Griffiths Valuation (1864 for this area). Griffiths was a survey of all property in Ireland between 1847 and 1864 for taxation purposes. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Some more. See the wills in the Public Record Office. Enter the surname McConville and under FULL ABSTRACT enter Ballynscarrick. http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
Putting in just the townland brings up some items which would be missed due to McConville/McConvill spelling:

Edward M'Convill, farmer, Ballynagarrick died 21 November 1863. Will mentions wife Mary, sons Thomas, John, Edward, Hugh and a daughter Eliza.

John M'Conville, farmer, Ballynagarrick died 1 March 1873. Will mentions mother Mary, uncle John McConville in New York U.S., Thomas McArdle of Portadown, sister Margaret McCardle, nephews John, Hugh, George, William (all McArdle and probably Margaret's children)

Patrick M'Conville, road contractor, Ballynagarrick died 6 June 1887. Will mentions wife Isabella, eldest child Annie age 4, 2nd child Dominick, youngest child Jane aged 9 months, father James.

James M'Conville, farmer, Ballynagarrick died 31 March 1893. Will mentions grandson Dominick McConville, William M'Conville of Ballynagarrick son of Edward (executor) and Patrick M'Conville of Kernon son of Frank (executor)

John M'Conville, farmer, Ballynagarrick died 14 February 1904. Will mentions
wife, son Henry, daughters Annie and Mary. Executors Hugh Willie (William M'Conville Commercial Clerk) and Henry McConville.

Thomas McConville, retired linen merchant, formerly of Ballynagarrick and late of Killicomain Road Portadown County Armagh died 21 April 1911 at The Union Infirmary Belfast. Will dated 1904 mentions daughter Bessie (probably the Bessie Fox Married Woman who was granted probate).

Mary Ellen McConville, spinster, Ballynagarrick died 2 March 1934. Administration of estate to William McConville farmer.

Hugh McConville, farmer, Ballynagarrick died 7 September 1914. Probate granted to William McConville Clerk and Henry McConville Farmer.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
UHF  = Ulster Historical Society,its a pay to view site though
jim
http://www.ancestryireland.com/quis_advanced.php?page=1&prevStartQuery=0&surname=mcconville&firstname=james&template=births&title=Birth / Baptismal records for Antrim and Down
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890