Author Topic: Samuel Deed  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Martha 14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Deed
« on: Sunday 15 June 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
I think my ancestor George Deed was stationed in Jersey whilst serving in the Royal artillery  at some time between 1800 and 1814. I think he may have had a son around 1810 Samuel and possibly other children.  Does anyone know where records of the births of children in the Channel Islands at this time are available?   I can find Samuel Deed in the 1841 to 1881 censuses in Whepstead Suffolk and it says he was born in the Channel Islands and as  George was from Whepstead and returned there after the army I thought it likely that Samuel was one of his sons but I don't know for sure.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Deed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Freebmd shows Samuel married 1845 -  a copy of his his marriage cert would confirm if his father was called George

Marriages June qtr 1845 
Samuel Deed Thingoe    13   841    
Ann Elizabeth Pryke
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you go to http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Jerripedia and search the baptism records, there is a Samuel Deed baptised 1st Apr 1810 and a Richard baptised 23rd Feb 1812. Father is George and mother is Susan. Unfortunately no mention of a maiden name.

Stewart

Offline Martha 14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I looked at the Jersey site as you helpfully suggested and found Richard and Samuel Deed which were indeed my ancestors. I could not find any more Deeds and I wondered if you knew if all the baptism records for 1800 to 1820 are on the site?  From the census records for the home village in Suffolk a Mary Deed born around 1807 and John Deed born in 1814 say they were originally from the Channel Islands.  I am almost certain these are siblings of Samuel and Richard and all are children of George but I cannot locate any birth records.  George seems to have been stationed in jersey during this period but he may have also spent time elsewhere I guess.

Thanks

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm afraid that I cannot confirm whether all baptism records are on the Jerripedia web-site. The entries are taken from CIFHS transcriptions which in turn are taken from the original records. When you start doing transcriptions of transcriptions, errors inevitably creep in. I know that there is additional information (where available) in the CIFHS transcriptions including mothers maiden name and the god-parents. The original baptism records at Jersey Archive are no longer available to the public.

I have been to the Archive this morning and the two Deep baptisms I mentioned earlier are the only ones that I can find.

But...... something I think we have both missed is a change in the mothers name. Samuel is the son of George and Suson(!) Deed. God-parents were Den(?) Drewick, George Deed and Sarah Deed.

Richard is the son of George and Sarah Deed, god-parents William Bird and Hannah Le Sueur.

Is Suson and Sarah the same person ???  Did George remarry ??? I did check to see if there were any Deed deaths and/or marriages but there weren't any at this time.

Stewart

Offline Martha 14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I had been assuming that Susan and Sarah were the same person but if George and Sarah Deed were god parents at the baptism of George and Susan Deed's son, Samuel then there must be two couples with surname Deed which seems a coincidence.  George Deed married Sarah Randal in 1796 in High Wickham but his home village is Whepstead in Suffolk and he returns there in 1814 and he has two more children George and Sarah.  The 1841 census for Whepstead shows Mary Sparks nee Deed born @ 1807 who has a brother called  John Deed and both say they were born in the Channel islands as does Samuel Deed also living in Whepstead hence my assumption that they were all George and Sarah's children.  There was no further mention of Richard Deed so I had assumed he had died.  Mary Sparks was present at George deed's death in 1852 and in 1841 he is living in Colchester with a 10year old boy called George Sparks who is then with his mother Mary in 1851 so it seems pretty certain that she is George's daughter. 
I think I need to find more information about George and Susan Deed.

Thanks for your help

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Please remember that it is not unusual for the parents to also be the god-parents as well!!

It could well be that the writing on the original document was so bad that the transcriber has written Suson. There are question marks after the name which suggests they were unsure.

Regarding the "Channel Islands" birth, it could well be that as a soldier, George got posted to another island and of course the children would be in their records.

Regards

Stewart