Author Topic: Greaves,Grieves,Greeves  (Read 6632 times)

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
Re: Greaves,Grieves,Greeves
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 February 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
                        Hi bud, on FreeBMD there is a death for a Lucy Bolam in
                          1912 age given as 55, in Newcastle upon tyne, as  she
                          allegedly forgot she was still married, did she lie about her
                          age as well?? Dave.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Dave

Thanks for the response. interesting turn up. This is one for me to recheck /verify.

The freeBMD date is March Qtr 1921 with an age of 55 which would give her birth date of 1866.

1911 Census indicates Lucy Boland(Bolam) aged 58 and b Brancaster 1853 - three years adrift but closer than the age quoted in free BMD. (Living in Benwell)

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some further research on Lucy, particularly on her later life. My assumption was that she had two daughters with Anthony Nurse and subsequent children with other persons. However I believe I have now completed the story as far as it is possible.

Lucy Nurse (nee Greaves/Grieves) as previously stated  was married to Anthony Couzens(Cousins) Nurse. (South Shields 1869)

They had four daughters, Pleasance (1870) Georgina(1873), Lilian (1875) and Daisy (1877)(died in infancy) before she moved on to Robert Bullen whom she married bigamously (Tynemouth 1883) stating that she was widowed on her Marriage Certificate.
Together they had six children and changed their name from Bullen to Bolam.  The age given at her death was probably  guesswork on the part of the informant as Lucy had been very careful with "facts" for most of her second life with Robert Bullen.

The best outcome from this little exercise has been the discovery of another cousin for my wife, from Lilians's line ,sharing Lucy as their G Grandmother but also the long line of the Nurse family back to Weybourne from about 1660.

Thanks to those who have helped along the line in resolving the "Mystery of the missing Nurse"

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I agree with lizdb that Belinda and Theodora could be one and the same.

Pretty sure these baptisms are right - John and Theodora's first two children, baptised at Clenchwarton

The first is a John Thomas Ward Greves -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-45159-93?cc=1823613&wc=M947-DBQ:n2004863461

The second is Belinda Susannah -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-45217-78?cc=1823613&wc=M947-DBQ:n2004863461

I noticed from the BMD's, that John and Theodora's marriage was registered in the Cambridgeshire area of Wisbeach.

Theodora must have been very young when she married, if she was born 1824 - do you have the marriage certificate?

I just wondered if they were married by licence.

Yorkslass

I have the marriage certificate. Both minors and married by Banns 20th June 1840 at Clenchwarton Parish Church.
Whilst I see the baptism for John Thomas Ward "Graves" at Clenchwarton I could find no Civil Registration so I presume that they did not bother, unless I have missed something. The various spellings of the surname does not help either. Greeves, Greaves, Grieves, Graves, Groves