Author Topic: Black Notley Hospital  (Read 28378 times)

Offline Grollo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black Notley Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 July 14 04:06 BST (UK) »
Bit late after the original post but I have only just come across this thread.
I was born there May 1955 when my mother was a patient. Never really got the whole story but I was taken back to live with my father and grandparents after about three weeks. Not sure how long my mother stayed but it was months rather than weeks. She also had a relapse and had to do another spell probably in 1956 when the treatment had changed from surgery to drugs which I believe are still used today.
Rollinson family Ratcliff

Offline Stortford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 July 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
I was a TB patient at Black Notley Hospital during 1958/59. I was under the care of Mr Michael Wilkinson, orthopaedic surgeon whose name is remembered in one of the roads in the housing development. Also one of the wards I was assigned to is recognised - Denton Ward. If anyone is interested in reading my memoirs together with many photos my stay there please visit the following website for further information:

http://www.stortdoc.com

Chris

Offline Stortford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I note several mentions of Black Notley Hospital in the 1950s. If anyone has further information from a staff or patient's experience I would be grateful.
Kind regards,
Chris

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
The housing estate built on the site of the old hospital has all its roads named after the hospital wards; I live on Denton Crescent.

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline Stortford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark. What a coincidence - I spent nearly a year in the hospital and most of the time in Denton Ward. I am giving a talk about the hospital at the Braintree Museum on 11 February at 3:00. Can you join us?
Chris

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I shall put it in my diary

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I was in black Notley Hospital about 1960 for an appendix op It was used when the Colchester Hospitals were full  I found it a lovely hospital. It was not far from the Wethersfield air base and lots of the Nurses were dating the americans there. I was in G ward which was surgical. You used to be in there for at least 10 days but  they had an occupational therapy dept where you could go to make things like moccasins slippers  and also a theatre which showed films in the evening  They had a little I suppose electric Bus (like the milk floats) which used to call round the wards to pick us up and take us there also a church for services .The wards were very spacious and clean In fact the Nurses used to help clean the bed areas. It was an enjoyable way to spend time in Hospital. Should never have been closed
Ronnie

Offline Bev MK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
From Frances

I'm late to this thread but my mother was in Black Notley with TB 1954/55 and Passmore Edwards. I'm just reading her letters to my father which describe life in BN, lots of refs to Dr Cohen. She and the other women seem to have managed to have quite a laugh, I'm finding the letters very amusing. She was on ward 2 for some of the time. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who was in there at that time.

I am talking from personal experience. Doctor Cohen (known to us as Dickie Cohen) saved my life, and I am not exaggerating. I was seriously ill when admitted and although I did not realise at the time, he told my parents that he could give me the drugs but not the will to survive. Dr. Cohen also said that ten years before he could not have saved me.

I spent well over a year in Black Notley Hospital (Sanatorium) at the time I was there ward 9 was the maternity ward.

The hospital also treated TB patients from Malta who arrived  with a nurse who then became a member of the wards team.

Patients often went to Passmore Edwards House in Clacton for convalescence, this closed down due to lack of patients  in 1956 :) and those of us not fit to go home were returned to Black Notley :(

Frances :)

PS If anyone else has memories of the 1950's I would love to hear from you.

Regards

Bev

Offline Grollo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Just yesterday I was scanning photographs of my mothers time in Black Notley and Passmore Edwards. I have twenty or so showing various people and groups. I wrote earlier that her time there was 1955 and 1956. I was born there May 55. Only one of a doctor and the name looks like Dr Paluk. I am quite prepared to share these but if someone can give me a clue at to the best way to allow more people to access them that would be appreciated.
Regards, George
Rollinson family Ratcliff