Author Topic: Richard Aylott/Aylett married at Little Canfield 1669  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Aylott/Aylett married at Little Canfield 1669
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
I believe I have traced my Aylott/Aylett line to the marriage of Richard Aylott and Elizabeth Brett in Little Canfield on 21st September 1669.  Does anyone have further info on this family at this time or can confirm from the Parish Register entry if Richard was of that Parish? Thank you.
Oxon - Stevens, Bunce, Mobbs, Creek, Hoare,Bates, Austin, Crawford, Richardson, Paxford
Bucks - Stevens, Claydon, Bunce,
Lincs - Twell, Harris, Bilson, Cumberworth, Cooper, Langton, Healey, Twelve(s)
Herefordshire - Gunter, Merry, Tylor
Essex - Underwood, Cant, Finch, Smyth, Frances alias Puckle
Hertfordshire - Clarke, Parker, Francis, Wallace, Aylott, Nottage
Beds - Covington, Bennett, Clark, Carter
Ireland - Manning

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Aylott/Aylett married at Little Canfield 1669
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
There is no further info in the PR's I'm afraid!

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, from looking through a name search on SEAX the surname seems quite numerous in the Dunmow area so I think I need to subscribe and do a search of the Parish Registers!
Oxon - Stevens, Bunce, Mobbs, Creek, Hoare,Bates, Austin, Crawford, Richardson, Paxford
Ireland - Manning

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Fortunately the 1st few pages of the PR's contain a table showing when each surname first appears in the document. The 1st Aylot is the above wedding.
There is a baptism of a Richard Aylot 26.02.1681 parents Richard & Elizabeth.

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you again!  Susan Aylott b. 1832 Albury, Herts married George Parker in 1850 in Albury (my gr. gr. grandparents) and over the last 6 years, on and off, I have worked my way back through the Aylott line in Albury to these two generations in Little Canfield.  Every time you get another jigsaw piece it opens up more queries!
Ireland - Manning

Offline ruthaylett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 April 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Not sure of you got any further with this - it's a while since you posted?

I follow Ayletts in general (not just my own branch), so I'd noted this marriage and subsequent children, but intrigued that you say there is an Albury connection. I have sons John, Richard, Matthew, James, and wondered which was your ancestor?

For the marriage in 1669 I have checked out Essex Richard Ayletts of a 1640 vintage - there aren't so many in my database. There is one bap to a Richard Aylett in Takeley in 1664, but also a burial there  for a Richard in 1687, so it probably isn't the same guy.

There is a baptism in White Notley in March 1640 to an Arthur and Margaret; this one is a little bit old for the marriage, but a possible. The third Richard reference is one born at some point after 1640, probably in Braintree, to Robert Aylett and Mary Wall. This is a well-to-do family, and may be plausible given a) the second of the Little Canfield  Richard's sons is called Robert; b) elsewhere at least the Bretts were also well-to-do and there is at least one earlier Aylett-Brett marriage.

The Herts Ayletts are a bit of a nightmare because of the Aylott thing - not at all sure they are the same family in spite of the closeness of the names, but of course who knows? And Aylett is misspelled so much, even in Essex where the name was better known, that morphing to/from Aylott may well take place. The habit in 16th/17th writing of writing an 'e' as an'o' with a bar across it has led to some mistranscription too, but in general Aylott isn't found in Essex.

Anyway, if you are still tracking this stuff, it would be good to talk over your Albury trail, and of course if I have any other useful data, happy to help.

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello, thank you for your reply.  I just jotted down the line I have:  Richard Aylott m Elizabeth Brett 21 Sept 1669 Little Canfield.  Richard is buried there on 14th Aug 1693.
Their son, Matthew Aylottt chr 26 July 1692 Little Canfield.
His son, Matthew Aylott chr 13 Jan 1716 Albury, Herts.
His son, Thomas Aylott/Alott chr 4 Oct 1731 Albury.
His son, George Aylott/Allott/Allett chr 31 May 1755 Albury.
His son, George Aylott chr 3 or 13 June 1798 Albury.  Died 1879 Albury.
His daughter, Susan Aylott chr 29 April 1832 Albury. Died 1902 Albury.  My 2x great grandmother.
I have my tree on Ancestry with the siblings of each generation and sources attached.
Do you have a tree on there and I could invite you to view or privately message me your email and I can send an invite.
I came across many variations of spelling which took time working through a few years ago!  The christenings/burial are all from the Parish Registers as are the marriages on my tree.
If those are Richard's parents then that would be a breakthrough, thank you!
Ireland - Manning

Offline ruthaylett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the very interesting information. My name is Ruth Aylett and rather than trying to bend the email prohibition here I suggest you google for me - I work at Heriot-Watt University.

You'll be aware that having someone move area is very tricky because it is hard to prove they are the same person. So how confident are you that the Little Canfield Matthew is the one that appears in Albury?

I ask because there is a Matthew Aylett having children in Aveley from 1621, first with a wife Mary and then with one Dorothy. Aveley is certainly a lot further from Little Canfield than Albury is, but on the other hand the names of the children of this pair overlap a great deal with the names of those of Richard and Elizabeth Brett, which proves nothing but suggested to me that this Matthew was a good candidate for the Aveley family. I will admit too that I have not yet checked the dates with the actual PRs, but have taken these from FreeReg transcriptions - which has this Matthew as bap Jul 1688 rather than the Jul 1692 you have. Maybe this one died young and your guy was a successor?

Other Matthews around at the right sort of time: there is a Matthew bap 1 Jan 1691 in Takeley, parents John Aylett and Sarah Lavender, who vanishes form the area - no burial, marriage, kids. There is  mention of an earlier Matthew in Takeley - his wife Mary was the victim of a rape in 1652 according to SEAX (my earliest Takeley Aylett event).

Then there is one bap 29 May 1685 in Great Dunmow, again with no burial marriage or kids there. This last one is the son of a Matthew and Anne pair and is the only child recorded there, suggesting that they had ties somewhere else.

Again, I have the Albury Matthew(s) having some children with names you do not find among the Essex Ayletts, notably Jonathan (no examples in Essex families until the 19thC) and Joseph (only instances in Halstead in this period).

My other question is how sure you are that Thomas 1731 is the son of Matthew 1716 and not of his father? There is only a 15 year gap between the two baps, which might make it unlikely? Moreover Thomas would then be the eldest of Matthew 1716's children, and while naming gets a bit less rigid in the 18thC, most families are still using their father's or their own name for their first child. Maybe the Matthew bap 1734 is a more likely first child for Matthew 1716? However I don't have any burials for Albury, and it could be that this would clarify which Matthew has which children.

My Essex records have reasonable scope but I have less on Herts Ayletts, and so it could be that there are some other Matthews in Herts too, though I assume you have checked this for the period you are looking at?

Apologies for so many questions and so few answers.

Ruth
--

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
I also discovered an Aylett line recently in Essex. Hannah Aylett born c1657. She wed Charles Dister (No marriage yet found but Hannah is mentioned in the will of her sister Mary Lazell, along with a Daniel Aylett, brother). Daniel Aylett was of Great Leighs. Hannah died in 1733, age on gravestone is given as 76.

Not yet found any baptisms of Hannah, Daniel and Mary yet so not sure if they link to Richard Aylett born c1640. Great Leighs is about 8 miles from Little Canfield.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain