Author Topic: Mills - Eustace (Eustas) of Guernsey  (Read 2654 times)

Offline VMills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mills - Eustace (Eustas) of Guernsey
« on: Saturday 13 July 13 02:06 BST (UK) »
As i try to track down my x5 G Grandfather Alexander Mills of county Fermangh Ireland, I'm hoping to break the current dead end via the Guernsey link, and hope that he got married in Guernsey, or that the StPrPort born children's records have a snippet of his life back in Ireland.

Alexander Mills Married c 1810 Mary Eustace (French: Marie Eustas) – in Ireland - or Guernsey? – look for a marriage record for Guernsey c 1810

Alexander Mills & Mary’s children all Guernsey born, all in St Peter’s Port.
First born child - George 1811 August 17 (Mary age 23c & Alex 27)  - look for a birth record for George

if nothing for george try other births:
Jean (John) 1815 June 2…… Twins: Sarah & Elizabeth   1817 April 8 ….. or Alexander 1819 June 22

Mary’s Guernsey parents are Thomas Eustas & mother  ?
She was born 1788 in either St Peter port or St Martins and died 17 September 1868 of ‘natural causes’ at age 80, at Rue Saumarez St Peter Port, Guernsey. She may have siblings Jean & Elizabeth. Mary and Elizabeth appear in the Guernsey census 1841, 1851, and Mary again 1861.
Does she have a birth record?
Would mary’s death record 17 September 1868 yield more info about Alexander?
– or at the very least these records would give me both her parents, which would cement my knowledge of my Guernsey clan.
A different RC thread on the Mills clan had this posted by craigt

"Priaulx Library in Guernsey to complete some research for me on Mary Eustace, Alexander's mother and got back the following information:

Civil death register.
Date of death:        17 September 1868
Name:                   Mary Eustas (widow of Alex Mills).
Age at death:         80 years
Father:                  Thomas Eustas
Address at death:   Rue Saumarez, St Peter Port.
Cause of death:      Decadence naturelle (Natural causes).

My next step will be to ask the Priaulx Library to research the Eustace/Eustas family further, so we can find out the name of Mary’s mother, and Mary’s siblings etc.   by craigt"

thanks.