Author Topic: lundregan look up please  (Read 3698 times)

Offline novella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lundregan look up please
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
i'm looking for the family of george lundregan born about 1867 in waterford..in 1911 he lives in tonypandy, wales with his wife Margaret who was born in county cork. son is robert lundregan born 1902 in pontypridd, wales. i'm not sure where to start with irish census so any hints would be appreciated. thank you very much!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: lundregan look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 and there is an online Index available on familysearch at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

There are quite a few Londrigan births in the Co. Waterford area - could this be a variation of the spelling ?

research certs can be ordered by post from the GRO using the index details from this- www.groireland.ie

some extracted Irish records are available on the IGI at : www.familysearch.org

The oldest surviving census return for Ireland are the 1901 and 1911 and the Waterford sections of these are due to be available later this year : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline doug610

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just found this site,I was born in tonypandy,my father's name is Robert John Lundregan, my uncle was Patrick Lundregan.
There are a lot of Lundregan's living around the Pontypridd area.

Douglas Patrick Lundregan

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
There's a baptismal record for a George Lonergan (another spelling!!) in Waterford in 1868 on the rootsireland site. Unfortunately it's a pay per view site.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline gaynor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin .
My great grandmother was Margaret Londergan / Lundregan ( 1866 - 1933 ) d/o Patrick & Mary married John Meats in 1888 in pontypridd . Their other children were George ( 1868 - 1923 )married Margaret Horrigan in 1893  in Pontypridd and they had at least 5 children Agnes , William , George , Robert , Patrick ; Robert (1871 - 1929 ) married Alice Teresa Jones in 1904 and they had at least 7 children incl. John Bernard , James Patrick , Terence , Nora ; Johanna ( 1875 - 1942 ) married Michael Gill in 1895, they had at least 7 children , incl. John , Mary , Alison , Mary , Hannah ; Mary Bridget ( 1877 - ) married Albert John Tilling in 1907 ; Julia Cecilia ( 1880 - 1881 ) ; James ( 1884 - 1915 ) ; Christopher    ( 1885 - 1963 ) married Emma Williams in 1913 ; and possibly Patrick ( I have baptisms for all the children born in Ponty incl. a Patrick - he was born 11th Feb 1874 but he doesn't appear on any censii with the family ).
I've also been having difficulty getting Irish bapt . records for the eldest 4 children , however , the family were Irish catholics  and we were told they were gypsies , and  if they were , in the gypsy fraternity , the children often took the mothers surname when being baptized . I have been able to find bapt records for  George Kennedy 23rd May 1868 at Waterford , Robert Kennedy 4th May 1870 at Portlaw , Waterford , and Catherine Kennedy 20th June 1872 at Waterford ( I was unable to find a bapt. record for my great grandmother - she was born in Cork , but on the birth certificates of her children , her maiden name is Kennedy even though on her marriage certificate , her fathers name is Patrick Londergan )
 The variance in spelling of the surname Londergan / Lundregan probably comes from the fact that they spoke with a very strong Irish accent  .