Author Topic: Catherine McKenzie Grant  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McKenzie Grant
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 July 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
This is the family that I thought it may be (see previous post) -- with a Jessie of the correct age to be Catherine.

I wonder if Catherine had a middle name -- or if Jessie was a nickname? Was she named after her grandmother Jessie Grant nee Finlayson?

There isn't 5 brothers though - but the occupation of the father fits.

Sorry to duplicate - missed your post.  Scotland's People does have a baptism for Jessie in 1893 in  Kinlochluichart District but I can't see a second christian name.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 July 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

No problem, Kay -- as you say -- she is just 'Jessie' at birth -- I have splashed out on 6 units for that Jessie -- father is Alexander Grant, Gamekeeper ---and mother Annie Grant nee McKenzie. Date of birth 18 June 1893. So these are the correct parents. I couldn't see a Catherine born in the same place though.

(Interestingly the adjacent birth on the same page is for a William Grant -- son of a Robert Grant, Gamekeeper -- wonder if Robert is Alexander's brother).

I am beginning to think that Jessie is Catherine!

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

What are the names of the witnesses on the 1921 marriage cert - just wondered if there were any clues there
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 July 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
The names of the witnesses on the 1921 Marriage entry are Alexander Hugh McKenzie and a Mary Ure. I could be wrong as Mary's surname is hard to read, it could be Urie or Weir. Catherine was always known as Cathie no evidence of "Jessie".

David
Stevenson - Neilston, Paisley, Glasgow
Hillcoat - Paisley
Grant - Kinlochluichart, Kingussie
Paton - Lothian, Ayrshire
McCulloch Paisley, Glasgow
Watson - Ayrshire, Yorkshire, Glasgow
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast
Rankin - Glasgow and Paisley

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
Sadly I think the Jessie/Catherine suggestion can be ruled out. There is a death of an Annie Grant age 72 maiden name Mackenzie in 1928 in Kinlochluichart  District - so this Annie Grant never married a Ross as suggested by Catherine's marriage cert

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
There is a gravestone in Achanalt that reads as follows

In loving memory of John Grant, late of Garbat who died at Saval, Lairg on the 11th May 1896 aged 96 years and of his wife Jessie Finlayson who died at Saval, Lairg on the 24th Nov 1895 aged 74 years. Also their daughter Rebecca who died 23rd March 1946 aged 86 years.

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 August 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Just an update on Catherine. Using the same parameters as before, this has suddenly appeared, 1887
District of Forres. Catherine McKenzie Grant (Illegitimate) born 21/11/1887 21 North Back Street Forres. Mother Ann Grant, Domestic Servant, Domicil High Street Kingussie. No father mentioned. In the first column of the certificate there is a stamp with the word "Paternity" written in, does anyone know what this means.
So whether Ann's name of Grant was married or maiden I'm not sure, so more investigating required.

David
Hillcoat - Paisley
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
Is there a RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) note associated with the birth registration? It will be a link at the top of the page with the birth registration and you will have to use more credits to get the information. Paternity implies there had been a court investigation into the child's parentage (usually in order to obtain financial support). The RCE would give details.

See http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&1314 for information

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 August 14 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
There does not seem to be an RCE connected to this birth, so I will try and contact Scotlandspeople directly and try to get some info on the birth. The stamp mark on the register of birth is pretty much unreadable apart from the word "Paternity" and possibly a date starting "Sept". Unless court action was started before birth, then the Sept would indicate 1888. Hopefully I can get access to any results of court action and information of possible father.
As stated before in Catherine's marriage certificate Fathers name is Alexander Grant and mother Ann Grant nee McKenzie now Ross. Alexander was deceased at time of marriage.

David
Hillcoat - Paisley
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast