Author Topic: James MUNN of Comber  (Read 14882 times)

Offline familytree29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James MUNN of Comber
« on: Friday 03 July 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out about my MUNNs of Comber, I've never researched in Ireland before so am a bit stuck!

All the information I have comes from County Durham.
Jane Munn (nee ?) was born in Comber in 1809, and had children in Comber including Robert, Ellen Jane and Margaret.
In the 1851 census, Jane, now a widow,  is in Toxteth, LIverpool, by the 1861 census, she is livingin West Rainton, Durham, with her son Robert, daughter Ellen Jane and grandson Thomas (son of Margaret - who I cannot find on any census return, Thomas was illegitimate.)

On Jane's death certificate it states her husband was James MUNN a shoemaker of Comber.

Can anyone suggest how I find out more about James
Thank you
DANIELS - North East Norfolk
FOX - Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts
GOTTS - North East Norfolk
KENNERLEY - Congleton
KITSON - Ashford-in-the-Water
NAYLOR - Sheldon and Bakewell
RADFORD - Skegby/Farnsfield, Notts
SMITH - Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts
SLAUGHTER - North East Norfolk
SPINKS - Aylsham
WRIGHT - Horning, Norfolk

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: James MUNN of Comber
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
There are a number of Munns in Griffiths under Comber

And there is one there in the phone book today. Comber is a small place, I used to live 5 miles from it.  I would suggest you phone the Munn there and see if they can help.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
and then recheck ros davies website for updates
worldwide

Offline Munn333

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My great grandfather was James Munn who was the station master at Comber. My grand father is Robert Munn who moved to Canada with his son who is my father. I wonder if we are searching the same tree?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
I think you will find same family tree. Look up James Munn in www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down
You might find either a connection to a James Munn aged 4 living with his grandfather aged 82 at No 48 in High Street (Comber, Down), or a James Munn aged 6 living with his father Mathew Munn aged 34 at No 56 in High Street (Comber, Down),  or even an Alfred James Munn aged 3 at No 63 in Ogilvie Street (Ormeau, Down) living with father John B Munn born co down. I didnt look up Robert
Otherwise try the Comber Historical societys own website, my ebook work is only available for downloading on their generous website
worldwide

Offline hewittmandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, It's been a long time since you posted however this might just help...I am currently researching my Hewitt roots, and they came from Comber. I have found some Hewitt's also in West Rainton and Pittington near Durham and I just added them to my tree last night in case they match up with the Hewitt's from Comber. Place of birth is only listed as Co. Down in the English census returns. So if you search for Thomas Nelson Hewitt or Alexander Hewitt or Samuel Hewitt in the 1881 and 1891 census you'll find the families and they 'may' go back to Comber. I wonder why they left then for Durham?
Mandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
The Londonderry landlord had coalfields in Durham. I understand they actively recruited for their coalfields from their irish tenants. Others have more knowledge as to whether the Landlord was being a benefactor or perhaps influenced by famine etc, or desperate for cheap labour. Try Durham record Office and coalmining strikes. Jim
worldwide

Offline hewittmandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have today found the link between the MUNN family of Comber and my Hewitt family (who also partially ended up in Durham).

Isaac MUNN born c1827 Comber, living in Ballymagaughey, Comber in Griffiths valuation, was married to Ellen BRIDGET on 15 Jan 1847. It looks like Ellen may have died in childbirth after giving birth to twin girls Agnes and Ellen in 1868. They also had a daughter Sarah born 1864. (There may be more children but I haven't found them).

Ellen BRIDGET was the sister of Agnes BRIDGET who married my ancestor Robert HEWITT. Robert is also on the Griffiths valuation.

If anyone has information on these surnames please get in touch.

Regards,

Mandy