Author Topic: Extract from Census Return of 1851 - Interpretation  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Extract from Census Return of 1851 - Interpretation
« on: Friday 01 August 14 06:09 BST (UK) »
Much to my excitement I found for the first time an 1851 Census Return Extract which I can quite understand.  I have attached a copy for reference.

This is my family, but I don't understand the information about the Applicant.  It reads James Hayes (1857-8).  Now this James Hayes was born on 7 May 1855.  His parents are correct on the Census Return.  There wasn't another James Hayes born between 1857-1858 to this family.

How come he appears on the 1851 Census Return? 

The address c/o Mr John Cameron, 9 Cairo Street, Belfast.  Do I take it that James Hayes was living there at the time according to the census.

Any explanation about interpreting the census return would be appreciated. ???
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Extract from Census Return of 1851 - Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
This is from the Census Search Forms not the Census
When pensions were introduced in 1909 the 1851 Census was searched to see if the Applicant was telling the truth. It's the result of that search you are seeing
You can read about it here http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/home.jsp
The image on the National Archives is much clearer.
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246723/007246723_00145.pdf

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
My guess is that in 1920 James was applying for a pension (you had to be 70) and stated that he was born in 1857-58.  Someone sent it to be checked against the 1851 census and didn't find him.

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my query.  Now I understand what the census extract is all about and the 1920 date.

How I love rootschat.  Such a great learning tool.

Again, many thanks.
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)