Author Topic: Daniel Rosenthal b.1845  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Andy1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Rosenthal b.1845
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 November 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you both ;D
I did know about Henrietta's Irish birth and it as a source, shows the families movement between Scotland and Ireland, as Henrietta died of Croup, back in Aberdeen in 1883.
I have considered that Ireland could have been a final destination for the family (wife Sarah was born in Ireland), but as the census's show, they did live apart, maybe for employment purposes. Thanks to newspaper articles though, I do know that Daniel led a very 'eventful' life, so maybe the family just drifted apart.
I will keep plugging away....thank you again!
Rosenthal...Poland/Russia, Aberdeen, Glasgow. Barclay...Co. Tyrone, Glasgow.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,
I've found something else that may be of interest to you and may be worth checking on.
Using Familysearch I chanced upon a couple on the England 1911 Census - I cannot give details as I believe it's against the terms and rules of Rootschat to quote from this Census - but this led me to look at www.freebmd.org.uk.
There I found a marriage between a Leah Rosenthall and a Barne Grossman in Sep 1901 in Whitechapel, London. I do wonder if this is the same Leah Rosenthal (Daniel's daughter?) living in Aberdeen on the 1891 Census as I believe the bride may have been born in Aberdeen. :-\
Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Looby, that looks really promising!

Andy, one more thing. Have you looked at the original of the 1891 census for Daniel lodging in Turriff? Just wondered whether the 19 yr old Margaret Rosenthall b. Aberdeen also showing as lodging there was a partner rather than a daughter....

Daniel and Sarah you have married in 1868, had William in late 1868, then a Joseph in 1870, and Leah in 1873. Then a gap in records until we see Henrietta's entry in Belfast in 1880. Just wondered who Margaret was, potentially shows as linked to Daniel in 1891.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Looby, this must be connected to the 1911 census entry you found here https://familysearch.org/search

They must have been living together by the time of the 1901 census (on 31 March that year). They are living in Holborn (32 Pentonville Road):

Barnett Grossman 24, commercial traveller, b. Poland
Leah Grossman 24, wife, b. Scotland

RG13/251/25/43

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
blimey.such a lot to take in, thank you!
This could well be Leah :)....I have her birth year as 1873, but know from experience that relying on a person's knowledge or representation of their own birth year can lead astray when searching. I will follow this up, thank you both.
As for the original image of the 1891 census at Turriff, that is also a real 'lead', as both Daniel and Margaret have "unm" crossed through and replaced with "marr"   ;D
Sometimes a good 'prod' in the right direction works wonders....don't know how I hadn't noticed that...or considered it!
I will follow this up also.
Thank you again!
Rosenthal...Poland/Russia, Aberdeen, Glasgow. Barclay...Co. Tyrone, Glasgow.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes that looks like them Monica  :)
Leah's age is a little bit out but then we all know how unreliable ages on Censuses are.