Author Topic: KENNEDY, Thomas  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Thommo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KENNEDY, Thomas
« on: Friday 24 January 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying find if there might be information, even a photograph of ancester Thomas Kennedy (1833-1917) who was head gamekeeper at 'Wardhouse' in Aberdeenshire for 40 years. Spouse Ann McDonald.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: KENNEDY, Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 January 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
 a marriage for them 31 may 1856 Huntley aberdeen

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 January 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
 have you seen this page about wardhouse where he was game keeper .if you go to
www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/ref_no/1851

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 January 14 23:35 GMT (UK) »
How sad, it must have been a lovely building :'(

You could try the Aberdeen archives, perhaps they have old photos :-\
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 January 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Lots of plans to redevelop the Wardhouse Estate which is good news.

See links like www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/304732/Walled-Garden-Site--Wardhouse-Estate/Insch/ and also www.scalan.co.uk/wardhouserestored.htm (a number more...).

Monica

PS: I wonder if that drawing of Tom's cottage relates to your Thomas. Might just be wishful thinking for you...but you never know! On the first link, there an area on the map which shows a 'Keeper's Cottage'. Doran54 has also included a more modern map reference for this.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 January 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
 ;)...It is Tom's Cottage!

Unfortunately, José Maria told nothing of indoor life at Wardhouse. Mostly, his reminiscences were of the gamekeeper, Tom Kennedy, while Tom’s black pipe and black twist tobacco were pungent memories. Once Mr Forrest has restored the game-keeper’s cottage, it will look from the front just as it did in Tom’s time, with white walls and cast iron gutters. Inside the old cottage will be two double bedrooms, while a glazed corridor installed at the rear will lead to a new extension including an open-plan living area, warmed by a wood-burning stove, with large glass sliding doors offering a view to the south.
www.scalan.co.uk/wardhouserestored.htm

Not quite a photo (that may still be there to be found in local archives) but at least a reference to his cottage and description.

With its fascinating history and connections with Spain, you also have:

Alphonso shook hands with the head gardener and the gamekeeper, Tom Kennedy, whose son was to become a cabinet minister in Ramsay MacDonald’s government.
www.scalan.co.uk/Spanish_Gordons.htm

My father decided that it would be better for me to get a little knowledge of the English language before he sent me to school, so that I might be able to look after myself when there. I was handed over to the care of the head gamekeeper, Thomas Kennedy. Dear Tom died three years ago, at a very old age; rather surprising he lived so long, as he had for years to look after me. To him, from the start, I was “Master Joseph,” and “Master Joseph” I remained until I embraced the old chap the last time I saw him before he died. It was from Tom Kennedy that I first learnt English, mixed with the broad Aberdeen-Scots, which when combined with my Spanish accent was practically a language of my own.......It was from Tom Kennedy that I also learnt to shoot, fish, ride and drink, for Tom always had a little flask of whisky to warm us up when we were sitting in the snow and waiting for the rabbits to bolt, or—what often took a great deal longer time—waiting for the ferrets to come out. And—last but not least—he taught me to smoke. I well remember Tom’s short black pipe and his old black twist tobacco. I shall never forget the times I had and the physical and mental agonies I endured in trying to enjoy that pipe.
www.gutenberg.org/files/27362/27362-h/27362-h.htm

Monica

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 January 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
What a fantastic find, Monica. Well done! For me, I think that reading these articles is an even better find than a photo. You get a sense of what kind of man he was. Wish he was one of my ancestors :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I'd a look in findmypast & Thomas Kennedy's name crops up a few times. On one ocassion the King of Spain, King Alfonso visited Wardhouse. When told of the long service of Thomas & another employee the king asked for them to be presented to him He shook their hands! I haven't found any photos yet but I'm sure some will turn up.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree, flst. What a fantastic life Tom Kennedy must have lived. There is so much description in those passages. Like you, wish he was one of mine  ;D

Monica