Author Topic: Why would a family move so much?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Why would a family move so much?
« on: Saturday 06 December 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if anybody could shed any light on how housing worked for mill workers late 19th century. I have mill worker families in Lancashire for example who seem to move every 2-3 years within a 1 mile radius, sometimes even 2 houses down the same street. All are typical 4 roomed mill houses. Why would a family move around so much within such a small area? Was it to do with the management of housing by the mill owners?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why would a family move so much?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, possibly due to an increase/decrease in the size of the family?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 December 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why people moved so often but it was very common.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 December 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
No idea actually....but in working-class neighbourhoods in Montreal everybody's lease was up on May 1st and everybody moved. Everybody. My father's family included. Could be just a street over, or a couple of houses down the same street. Maybe the rent was a dollar cheaper, my father said, or the cockroaches were classier :)

Could be just a cultural thing...we've always done it that way... :P

Until you get a better answer ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 December 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Rent increases and ability to keep up with payments?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 December 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
did the mill owners own their own Tied Cottages within the land the Mills were on ?...usually the way .
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 December 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Also sometimes, if they are on the same street, they haven't moved at all but the street numbering has changed as dwellings are built/demolished/rebuilt around them
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 December 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
One branch of my family owned and lived in a cottage in Nuneaton.  Confusingly the address of the cottage changed with every census in the 19th century.  Twice the street name changed and on the other occasions the actual house number.  I was not confusing the census entry with the house number as where there was a house number there was also a census entry number.  It took a lot of detective work to prove it was the same cottage but fortunately there was public house a few doors away. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 December 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
With most property being rented, moving house often was very common. The reasons were manifold.

For apparently similar houses, a difference in rent for the same standard of property, or better maintenance, might prompt a move. The fresh house might have extra space not obvious from the front. The new house might be better situated - closer to school, or further away from some nuisance such as the glue works.

A house previously occupied by a relative or friend may have become vacant.

It was common for those who came into money to invest it in property. They might live in a slightly larger house at the end of a row, renting out the remainder. As finances improved, they might purchase or build additional houses. It might be advantageous to rent from a friend who was in such a position as they would be more likely to sort out problems than the man in the big house. Electoral rolls often give details of property ownership in the days before the introduction of universal suffrage.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.