Author Topic: FERGUSON - Long Newton...ponderings  (Read 3923 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FERGUSON - Long Newton...ponderings
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
It looks like my 3rd Great Grandfather (Robert FERGUSON) lived, worked and died in Long Newton, County Durham in the early part of the 19th centuary.

He married Mary PEARSON in 1802 in St Mary's church in Long Newton and they had many children according to the parish records. They start off reasonably straighforward.

1803 -  Mary (Christened at St. Marys 1st daughter of Robert Ferguson & Mary his wife late Pearson ([native] of this parish))
1805 - Robert (Christened at St Mary's 1st son of Robert Ferguson & Mary his wife late Pearson ([native] of this parish))

But then I get:

1806 - Margaret (Christened at St Marys 1st daughter of Robert Ferguson & Mary his wife late Pearson))

Question 1 : Does this mean that Mary had passed away prior to Margaret being Christened or is it just a clerical error?

Then we get back on track with:

1808 - George (Christened at St Mary's 2nd son of Robert Ferguson & Mary his wife late Pearson ( [native] of this parish))

Then it goes weird again!

1809 - William (Christened at St Andrew's, Sadberge! 3rd son of Robert Ferguson (native of Darlington) by his wife Mary Pearson (native of Longnewton))

Question 2: I know Sadberge is 'just up the road from' Long Newton, but why the move of church?

Question 3 : My research Robert was born in Stockton not Darlington, but does this mean he is now living in Darlington rather than he was born there?

Then we start again back in Long Newton!

1811 - Clarinda (Christened St Mary's, 3rd daughter of Robert Ferguson & Mary his wife late Pearson)
1813 - Ann (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (day labourer) & Mary Ferguson) (I guess they gave up counting!)
1814 - Isabella (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)
1816 - Jane (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)
1819 - Elizabeth (Christened St Mary's, daugther of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)
Now it gets really squirrely...

1820 - Jane (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson))

Question 4 : Did the first Jane die or is this a totally different family? (Long Newton even today is little more than a tiny village) *** Solved *** Jane FERGUSON #1 Death entry in 1817 in Long Newton

1822 - Maria (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)
1824 - John (Christened St Mary's, son of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)
1827 - Dorothy (Christened St Mary's, daughter of Robert (labourer) & Mary Ferguson)

Then I think they discovered the cause of all these births and called it a day. I do know that there was a Robert Ferguson who was Christened in Darlington in 1781 but I don't believe this is my Robert.

Any answers/thoughts/ideas/comments on my questions or any other bits of my logic would be welcomed.

Best regards
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FERGUSON - Long Newton...ponderings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
From a quick Google it appears St Mary's church was at least partially rebuilt in 1806 after having been declared "dangerous for parishioners to assemble therein" This would account for the baptism of William in 1809

http://www.durham.anglican.org/userfiles/file/Durham%20Website/Diocese%20and%20Admin/Care%20of%20Churches/Longnewton%20St%20Mary%20Archaeological%20Assessment.pdf

Don't know if that link will work but I'm sure you'll find it

Edit - sorry just read your post again and looks like there was a baptism there in 1808. However, I'm sure the rebuilding must have played some part in this

Nannawilk

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Just an afterthought. The petition to rebuild was made in 1806. Maybe it took a while for them to start work  :)

Nannawilk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 10:18 GMT (UK) »
'Native of Darlington' means that was his parish of origin.   

As his age at burial suggests birth date ca.1780 surely he was indeed the one baptised at Darlington in 1781?   Why do you not think this is him and that he actually came from Stockton?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Who were the parents of the 1781 baby?    Do the names follow on in the next generation?

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Thanks for the input.

The church information is most helpful. Thank you.

I was excluding the Darlington born Robert FERGUSON based on the marriage record:

Marriages, Stockton District
Record Number: 485367.1
Church: St. Mary
Denomination: Anglican
22 Aug 1802 Robert Ferguson married Mary Pearson, both of this parish,by banns
Witnesses: Bartholomew Parmeley, William Kirkley

Now it could be that Robert was born elsewhere and living and working in Long Newton at the time of his wedding I guess.

Just to 'muddy the waters' a little more. The Robert Ferguson Christened in Darlington in 1780 has William FERGUSON listed as his father. Which would tie in with the William Christened in Sadberge in 1809. However, the Robert Christened in Stockton in 1791 has George listed as his father, which would tie in with Robert and Mary naming the second born male George. George is my direct line connection to the family and that name runs right through the generations to my late cousin.

What is throwing me off is that I can accept that Robert (from Darlington) Christened his son in Sadberge and is a different Robert to the Long Newton Robert, but the mother's name listed is Mary PEARSON so unless both Roberts married identically named women surely they are the same person?

Confusing to say the least! 

I do know there was a Robert and ANN Ferguson in the same geographic area and I suspect it is Robert and Mary's son based on dates, but I have yet to explore that line.

Thanks for the input so far. I am not sure how to solve this one fully except by making a few leaps of faith.

Kevin

**EDIT** I have just noticed that I have listed GEORGE as Thomas in the original post!
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
, both of this parish,

Both of this parish means nothing more than that is were they were living at the time - it is no indicator of their origins.

Indeed they could have been living in the parish for as little as three weeks I think it is (someone will come along with the exact time)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Unless the Robert baptised in Stockton in 1791 was quite a late baptism he would have been 11 when married in 1802??

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Unless the Robert baptised in Stockton in 1791 was quite a late baptism he would have been 11 when married in 1802??

I know, and that is another fly in the ointment! It is a whole tangle of Roberts, Georges and Williams...not to mention Marys, Margarets and Anns!

Shame the Christening record in Stockton in 1791 doesn't mention age. The Darlington Christening would make more sense as being the correct one but there is no real proof either way.

I wonder if the parish records themselves give any more information than transciptions?  :-\

Kevin   
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham