Author Topic: What happened to Frank's family after he was killed in WWI?  (Read 6599 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Frank's family after he was killed in WWI?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 August 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
There's 1 match for a marriage between surname: Mills and forename: Mary + surname: soundex S353 for Stainthorp in scotlandspeople.gov.uk

But I'm not going to waste another £7 on credits there just at the moment; I have effectively zero Scottish ancestry and only used 2 of my last 30 credits before they expired. I'll wait until I have a Scottish certificate I know I want.

(edit - scratch that; the marriage on scotlandspeople is from 1956, so too late.)

That d.o.b. for Mary Lena Jury of 31st Mar 1913 is an intriguing coincidence though...

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 February 15 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm no further along with this one, although I have just found a probate record for Frank's widow Mary Helena using https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar which confirms what we already know about her and the eldest daughter.

STAINTHORP Mary Helena of 10 Richmond Bridge Mansions Twickenham Middlesex died 18 May 1967 at West Middlesex Hospital Isleworth Middlesex Administration London 9 June to Margaret Irene Primrose Godfrey widow £831.

N.B. no will though :(

It's occurred to me that the younger daughter (Mary [He?]Lena "Mollie" Stainthorp) may have been placed into adoption - formally or otherwise - at the end of the War. She would have been five when her father died. That might explain the lack of any subsequent records. I'm going to take a punt and order the marriage and death certs for Mary Lena MILLS b.31 Mar 1913, m.1942 JURY, d.1973 to see if there are any clues that she was Mollie Stainthorp.

Alternatively it's possible that she emigrated, married MILLS overseas, and returned to marry JURY.

When the 1921 census and/or the 1939 registration records are released, perhaps I'll be able to tell whether the younger daughter was still with her mother and sister or at least still in England.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
It's occurred to me that the younger daughter (Mary [He?]Lena "Mollie" Stainthorp) may have been placed into adoption - formally or otherwise - at the end of the War.

Update: at her marriage in 1934, Margaret/Irene/"Renee" Stainthorp was described as "eldest daughter of the late Frank Stainthorp" (Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, 24th April 1934, p.8 ), which suggests that her younger sister Mary Lena/Mollie Stainthorp was still around and part of the family.

So I'm shelving my already-tenuous adoption theory.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Checking against the free index of the 1939 Register:

No obvious sign of either Mary (He)lena STAINTHORP née MASON b.1884 or Mary Lena (Mollie) STAINTHORP b.1913.

Margaret Primrose Irene (Irene; Renee) GODFREY née STAINTHORP b.1911 may be at 15, Belvedere Road in Leeds C.B. with husband Reginald S. GODFREY.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 September 16 13:16 BST (UK) »
Updating this old post with some new information and summarising what I now know as it's been a while. Still looking for post-WWI records of the widow and two daughters of Frank Stainthorp (b. 19 January 1886 - d. 31 October 1918). New information in green italics below.

His widow Mary Helena ("Lena") née Mason (b. 1886 - d. 18 May 1967):

• 1921-1934 - living at 15, Hill Street, Dawdon/Seaham Harbour, Co. Durham.
  • 1962-1967 - living at 10, Richmond Bridge Mansions, Willoughby Road, Twickenham, Middx.
  • 1939 register - not found
  • 1967, 18 May - died at West Middlesex Hospital, Isleworth, Middx.
  • 1967, 9 Jun -probate granted in London to eldest daughter Margaret Primrose Irene (below).

Elder daughter Margaret Primrose Irene ("Irene") Stainthorp (b. 14 January 1911 - d. 1987):

• 1934, 14 April - married Reginald Stanley Godfrey (b. 21 June 1900 - d. 1960), Hendon Reg. Dist.
  • Two children? FreeBMD has two Godfrey births with m.m.n. Stainthorp(e); they may still be alive.
  • 1939 register - at 15, Belvedere Road, Leeds. Husband Reginald is a "producer & director publicity films".
  • 1962-1965 - living at 10, Richmond Bridge Mansions, Willoughby Road, Twickenham, Middx.
  • 1987, Dec Q - died in Surrey Mid Eastern Reg. Dist.

Younger daughter Mary Lena ("Mollie") Stainthorp (b. 31 March 1913 - d. ??):

• 1927, 5 November - was bridesmaid at the marriage of her maternal aunt Ethel ("Ella") Mason to William Armstrong at St Matthew's Church, Silksworth. (Durham Chronicle, 11 November 1927, p. 1.)
  • 1939 register - not found
  • 1973, Jun Q - death of a Mary Lena Jury with same d.o.b. as Mary Lena Stainthorp, Brighton Reg. Dist.