Author Topic: Donnington on Bain marriage  (Read 3701 times)

Offline DarciDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donnington on Bain marriage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent!! Thanks for clarifying that.  I'll keep the July 1844 birthdate for Levi. Thank you again!!! :)

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
I should ignore the fact that she might have been 6 months pregnant when she got married - a lot of women were that and more!  By the looks of it, you should have the right marriage as also shown married on the same GRO page was Jane Dawson, who married Robert Griffin - double wedding?  Now Jane was definitely one of William and Elizabeth's daughters.  Robert died in 1846 and Jane remarried to William Smith in 1848. 

The real mystery is why Elizabeth's baptism is not found at Donington, when there are 9 other children who ARE baptised there.  As luck would have it, there is a gap between Jane in 1822 and Hester in 1826 that Elizabeth would fit into nicely.  This may point to the fact that (if she WAS their daughter) her baptism may have been missed off the register - this is not unknown as some vicars kept rough registers and only copied them over into the proper register every now and then, so the potential for mistakes is there.  Or she might have been baptised somewhere else - the most obvious place would have been Ludborough where her mother came from, but there is nothing there.

Do you know where the Dickinson name came from?  Was this a Lewis family connected surname?

I will keep on digging.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 August 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the Dickinson name came from?  Was this a Lewis family connected surname?

John LEWIS m Elizabeth DICKINSON 1785 at North Somercoates.  Dickinson LEWISes married at that place in 1808 and 1836.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline DarciDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 August 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU to you all!! I'm new at this so I don't know how to properly reply (using quotes), but I think you'll get my info.

I have Jane DAWSON marrying Robert GRIFFIN, May 16, 1844 so not double wedding but close.

Interesting post from Geoff-E re: DICKINSON surname--thank you!!! My 2nd great uncle was Dickinson William "Willie" LEWIS b. Oct 28, 1864 Donington-on-Bain, England, d. April 1951, Smith Center, Smith County, Kansas, USA.

We've always wondered where his name originated.  My family records do not show any LEWIS marrying a DICKINSON, but I will investigate that now as well.  I'll look to see if North Somercoates is close to Donington-on-Bain.

I have a John LEWIS, b. Dec. 04, 1710, d. Nov 23, 1795 so in 1785 he may have been too old to re-marry?? His wife was Anne FLETCHER... and my 2nd great grandfather, John LEWIS, b. Nov 9, 1814 wasn't alive yet...hmmmm.

Thank you again!!!! This is extremely exciting for me!!

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
Just another thing for the Dawsons - if they turn out to be your family, and everything you have said so far might suggest that. 

William Dawson son of Joseph and Elizabeth nee Baldwin, married Elizabeth Ingamells dau of John and Jane nee Harrison on 08 Aug 1815 at Stenigot.

William Dawson's sister, Rebecca, married Elizabeth Ingamells' brother, Thomas, on 14 May 1823 at Horncastle.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs

Offline DarciDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 August 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
Once again, thank you BostonLil!! I will add this info re: the DAWSONs to my files.

Offline Shirley Patton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
Re donnington on bain   William Dawson was born c1790  in donnington he married Elizabeth ingamells in stenigot on10/08/1815 and died and was buried in donnington in June 1867.  His parents were Joseph Dawson and Elizabeth  Baldwin they married in donnington on 25/05/1789

Elizabeth ingamells was born on 01/01/1793 in ludborough Linc's to John ingamells and Jane Harrison, their marriage was on 16/05/1782  at St. James church in Louth Linc's
They went on to have 10 children
I have a bit more information but hope this helps for now