Author Topic: Lincolnshire - Hicks mysteries  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Donald Fritz

• RootsChat Extra
  • I 'm one of those regular wierd people.
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire - Hicks mysteries
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 04:13 BST (UK) »
here is the story I have

My grandfather, George Ray Mallett had an older half - brother who's last  name was Hicks. The family story as told to me was that their mother had been a maid in an English
household, and George's father had been the carriage driver for the household.

As the story is told she had married a son of  the household and the family disinherited the son for getting married to the maid and kicked them out. They managed to get by
until after the birth of their son when   her husband became sick and she could no longer take care of him. At that point she went to the family and asked for help but they
would only do that if the marriage was annulled and she left England.   

George's father had already left England for America and she camed over and married him.   

Offline anasfell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing that story!  My grandmother had heard something like it, but without the specifics. We originally started our Ancestry search because she wanted to know if her grandfather was an illegitimate child -- she had been told that too. It doesn't look like that was the case, though the marriage was scandalous! I wonder if there is some kind of annulment record to verify it? She continued to use the Hicks name on her passage to Canada.

It's very interesting that Susan knew George Mallett back in England. We assumed they met in Canada.

I guess we are some form of cousin then... nice to meet you! :-)

Offline Donald Fritz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
I have info on her dad, George Shaw Tinker, if you need or want it.  also her uncle also came to America. I'd love to find out more about Benjamin Sr family and find a pic of the house where George and Susan worked.

Offline Donald Fritz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Looks like I got ahead of myself again. I see you have a tree on Ancestry with the same info on the Tinkers that I have.

Offline Donald Fritz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
Mi death index