Author Topic: Family of Ellen Bishop b bet 1869 - 1871 approx Guernsey  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Ellen Bishop b bet 1869 - 1871 approx Guernsey
« on: Sunday 28 September 14 05:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for the birth and parents of Ellen Bishop.  According to the information she gave in 1901 England Census she was born abt 1871 Guernsey. However on her marriage certificate in 1895 she gave her age as 26 making her birth around 1869.

Based on her marriage record her father was Philip Bishop Gentleman - he was not listed as deceased so it may well be that he is still alive in 1895.

In anticipation. :)

Westy11

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Ellen Bishop b bet 1869 - 1871 approx Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the family in 1871 although Philip is a gardener.   Living in Harvilland, St Martin's, Guernsey

Philip Bishop 44 b England Gardener
Ellen Bishop 30 b England
Clarence E Bishop 8
Emma Bishop 6
Henry Bishop 4 b St Andrew Guernsey
Ellen Bishop 1 b St Peter Port Guernsey

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:59 BST (UK) »
Baptism   - Ellen Bishop -   16 Nov 1869 St Pierre Port,Guernsey
Parents Phillip Bishop and Ellen Moss

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Kay99  :)

Fancy meeting you here!

The information seems to fit with the exception of the 'gardener' occupation.  I am not aware the criteria for being a 'gentleman' but if there was a way to reconcile these 2 occupations you may well be spot on.

As to Ellen's baptism - what is the source please??

Westy11

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Westie  :)

The source of the baptism was Anc.   Philip and family were still alive in 1900 and living in St Peter Port with his occupation still a gardener. I presume the marriage was in England in 1895 so her husband never met her family and as his father was described as a gentleman she matched it.

My own ggrandfather described his father as a gentleman on his marriage cert, but in fact he was an Ag Lab ;D

I think the baptism may have mistranscribed the mother's surname as Moss and it was actually Vass.   There is a marriage   Sep Qtr 1861   Newcastle T 10b 204 with possible couple Ellan Vass and Philip Vass and their child Clarence Ellen was registered in Gateshead in 1863

Kay

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thats amusing.....  Thanks for the information and it really does fit. 

As to calling yourself a title: here in Australia and with one telecommunications provider a number of years ago - in order to obtain an account I had to nominate a title.  The usual choices were Mr, and the numerous versions of marriage status for a woman, then Dr, Judge, Professor etc.  I asked if I had to have a title and the answer was yes to which I objected as I don't think a persons marital status is relevant in many instances. 

Even though it was mandatory to nominate I didn't have to prove it and could choose any title I liked.  Which I did.  ;D

Don't you just love bureaucracy.

Westy11

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thats amusing.....  Thanks for the information and it really does fit. 

As to calling yourself a title: here in Australia and with one telecommunications provider a number of years ago - in order to obtain an account I had to nominate a title.  The usual choices were Mr, and the numerous versions of marriage status for a woman, then Dr, Judge, Professor etc.  I asked if I had to have a title and the answer was yes to which I objected as I don't think a persons marital status is relevant in many instances. 

Even though it was mandatory to nominate I didn't have to prove it and could choose any title I liked.  Which I did.  ;D

Don't you just love bureaucracy.

Westy11

Completely agree. If a woman is over a certain age it is always assumed she is married!! 

My favourite comment was a friend's who is unmarried.  She was buying a piece of wood and asked if it could be cut to size?   The assistant suggested her husband would be able to do this and she replied that it seemed rather excessive to get married just to get the wood cut to size  ;D

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
Kay99

That was so quick witted of her. I would so have wished to say something as quick and funny.   :D

Thanks for your assistance!

Westy11