Author Topic: Longford Buckley and Mckenna Family  (Read 4488 times)

Offline alisonb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longford Buckley and Mckenna Family
« on: Monday 09 January 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been lucky enough to find lots of information on my Longford ancestors. I have a John Buckley who married Margaret Mckenna/McCanna. They married around 1857 and had Maria Buckley, Ellen Buckley, Teresa Buckley, Michael Buckley, Kate Anne Buckley. There was also my Great Grandfather Thomas Buckley but I am yet to find any records for him. I have also seen a Belinda Buckley who I think may be connected. These were all born between 1859 and 1875. So I am able to see there Birth/Christening records. I can not move forward with the family apart from my Great Grandfather Thomas who I know moved to Scotland. The others all seem to have just disappeared. If anyone could shed some like I would be grateful.

Thanks

Alison

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Longford Buckley and Mckenna Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Searching forward is much more difficult than working back in time, but the best place to start is probably with the home parish - i.e. where you located the baptisms.

Full Civil records started in 1864, so you could also try searching for later civil marriages for the children you've found, and also look for them on the 1901 and 1911 census. They children could have moved in later life so it's not always easy to follow them unless you have some clues as to where they went, or who they married.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alisonb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 12 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on the 1901 and 1911 Census but have had no luck. I am guessing the girls all married and without seeing their married names it's proving difficult.

I will have a look at your links and hopefully will get some new knowledge. I am really surprised how much harder this side of my family is to find when actual records should be available.  Always something to learn with Family History, I guess that is what makes it so exciting and addictive.

Thanks for your reply

Alison

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
There was also my Great Grandfather Thomas Buckley but I am yet to find any records for him.

What year was your Thomas born ?

If it was before 1864 you will need to check for parish records.

Do you have baptism records or birth certs for any of the children you mentioned ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
for reference here's a link to those births from the extracted civil collection on FamilySearch :

Buckley/McKenna-McCanna births 

based on the date of birth of the oldest child listed (Maria 1864), and the date of marriage you have, there would probably have been older children that could include Thomas.

To establish a more detailed location it might be an idea to start with a birth cert. e.g. the extracted record for Maria shows :
  Name:  Maria Buckley
  Birth Date: 17 Feb 1864
  Birthplace:  0214, Longford
  Parents : John Buckley & Mother's Margt. Mckenna

Note - the address in these records is often a district or subdistrict, but can sometimes be the name of the county. The number in the address is the register page number, and helps locate the correct entry in the BMD Index - i.e.

Name: Maria Buckley
  Registration district: Longford
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1864
  Volume: 3 / Page: 214

In this case Longford refers to the registration district based in the county town. You can use these details to order a research cert from the GRO, which will show some further details that should help your search back - e.g. John's occupation, and the place of residence of the family. If they lived n Longford town the address could mention a street name. If they lived in a rural part of the district it should include the name of the townland. Having a more detailed location should help establish which parish they lived in, which you need to know to search for details of older siblings and the marriage

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alisonb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.

I will look into to applying for the last born, and see where that takes me.

Thanks again for you time, it's appreciated.

Alison