Author Topic: Glassworkers in Dumbarton  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glassworkers in Dumbarton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Neil, I used to be a furnaceman so I know where you're coming from! a lump of brass chucked into an iron furnace while the operator's dozing, has a similar effect....Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
hi again skoosh how intresting i have a thing about furnacers if thats how its wrote i even found out bits on how our local crem works nearly the same as our tank worked.Anymore question about glass feel free to ask.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 February 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Neil, read a horror story about a guy crawling along the channel under a glassfurnace to look at a hotspot and the metal burst through on him. Goodnight Irene!
Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
hi skoosh thats not nice when only bits of our tank needed  brickwork done that small section would be cooled and our brickies would do the repair every 3/4 years we had a total rebuild the tank would be drained and knocked down to ground leveland built back up  contractors would come in to do the work this could take up to 12 weeks.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Searching around I found that the Dumbarton Glass Co. was constructed/established in 1776  and that the manager of the works was James Dixon.  I`m going to order the booklet on glassmakers from the Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society. 

Regards to all

DrD

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
hi DrD sorry for going of track .could you post the link for dumbarton glass co. and do let us know what the booklets like.
neil

Offline Lucy Brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 March 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear DrD
I got a personal message from you asking if  I have any further info. about the Dumbarton Glass Co.  Unfortunately I haven't had any time to pursue this line.  I'd be glad to hear if you get anywhere.  However DIxon isn't my main line of enquiry, so not high on my list of priorities.
LB

Offline Maggie_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 March 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I'm also searching for glassmakers in Dumbarton in the 18th and early 19th C.  Will get the booklet recommended.

I'm researching the Hartley family who eventually moved to England and were owners/senior managers at various glassworks (Nailsea, Wear Glassworks, Pilkingtons) in the late 19th & 20th c.

If anyone has any further information or advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Maggie

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 March 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
hi maggie the hartlley that opened the wear glass works was james hartley the glassworks changed hands over the years to name a few joblings pyrex and cornings there are a few streets near by which is said were named after james hartley,s daughters but the could be names of flowers to fern may violet rose and lilly street. no doubt someone will comfirm one or the other.
neil