Author Topic: Margaret Leishman, born around 1844, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire  (Read 6560 times)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Leishman, born around 1844, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire
« on: Monday 18 February 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I first posted this in the "Beginners" category, but this might be the right place?

I'm a Norwegian girl doing a little research on my Scottish family. I don't have much to go on, and can't seem to get the hang of the ScotlandsPeople site..

I'm looking for my grandmother Mary Mac Callum Cameron's family. She was born in Glasgow in 1927, and her parents names are John and Margaret Cameron (born Adam.)

I want to find out more about Margaret. I think the following information about her parents is correct:

(Area: Most of the results I have found on Margarets family comes from the Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire area.)

James Adam - b. ca. 1875
Annie Adam (born Gilfillan) - b. ca. 1875 (could also be Anne/Anna.)

I have heard the name Leishman mentioned a couple of times, and that's why I think the following names is Annie Gilfillans parents:

James Gilfillan - b. ca. 1845
Margaret Gilfillan (born Leishman) - b. ca. 1844 (her fathers name was William Gilfillan, b. ca. 1804)

Does any of you have any way of doing some quick research to confirm or cancel any of these names? And if confirmed - the wife of William Leishman?

Any help is much appreciated, and I apologize for my English

Kine Marie.
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Leishman, born around 1844, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Welcome to Rootschat.
I have done a free search on scotlandspeople and have found a Margaret Adam born 1899, Cumbernauld. This is possibly your Margaret and on another website the 1901 census shows a Margaret Adam b c 1900 with parents James and Annie living at Auchinstarry Road, Starks Land, Cumbernauld. James was born c 1875 Falkirk and he was an Ironstone Miner. Annie was born 1875 Cumbernauld; George Gilfillan, 7, born Edinburgh was James's stepson and Margaret aged 1 was daughter born Cumbernauld.
I will continue to look for you.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I have found the death of a Margaret Cameron, other name Adam in the county of Lanark [but I haven't searched for the district within Lanark] in 1952; born 1899 +/- 1year. This should give you the names of her parents which would be your confirmation. You will need to buy credits to view this death certificate.
You say that you are having problems with the scotlandspeople site. Can you tell us what you are finding difficult and perhaps we can help.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi , and welcome  :)

No need to apologize for your English , which is a million times better than my Norwegian  :P

SP has Mary McCallum Cameron birth 1927 Anderston Lanark.

Also - John Cameron / Margaret Adam marriage 1920 Kilsyth Stirling
Would that be her parents ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! :)

I managed to do some light searching on ScotlandsPeople with the information you found, and it confirmed that it most likely is my family. I had already purchased some credits, I just didn't know how to use them.. ;)

And the match for John Cameron / Margaret Adams marriage sounds right, as the first child in the family that I have information about is born ca. 1921. So I think that's my great grandparents :)
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I would have replied earlier but my internet connection has not been good tonight.
To view the record using your credits:
once you have searched and it says that there is a match, look to the right of 'do the search' and there is a green button which says 'view [1 credit]'. Click on this and the brief details of the birth, marriage or death will come up. You then have the chance to view and save the image by clicking on another button. This time I think it says 'view page [5 credits]. If you click on this button the certificate should come up on your screen.
This page will in future be in 'Your viewed images' which is at the top of the scotlandspeople page.
I hope this is helpful.
Rae

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to Rae's information............

James Adam / Annie Gilfillan marriage 1899 Cumbernauld Dunbarton(SP)

James Gilfillan / Margaret Leishman marriage 11th June 1868 Cumbernauld Dunbarton
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTG4-Z5B

In 1881 William Leishman age 77 and his grandson James Gilfillan age 10 are in Cumbernauld.
Going by the 1841/1851 Census it would seem William Leishman's wife was Elizabeth.
Think Willam died 1884 in Cumbernauld , widower of Elizabeth McIntosh

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
There are limits to what you can view online at Scotlandspeople.
Births up to 1911 , marriages up to 1936 , and deaths up to 1961.

ev

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody :)

All the information is much appreciated. I'm even getting the hang of SP!

But it seems that this Elizabeth McIntosh person will slow down the progress..
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)