Author Topic: Searching for Marriage of George Wilson and Isabella of Ouseburn  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Marriage of George Wilson and Isabella of Ouseburn
« on: Friday 04 April 14 05:04 BST (UK) »
  I have searched long and hard through Family Search for the marriage of George Wilson to Isabella and can only hope that some kind person can pin it down.

I know from the 1871 census that John Oliver in Consett was born circa 1823/24 in Gosforth.  The only birth that I can find to fit is a baptism at All Saints Newcastle - 16 Mar 1823 John Wilson, of Ouseburn, son of George (miller) & Isabella Wilson.

This would appear to be the first baptism for I can only find Robert in Jan 1825, Ann in September 1826, and Ralph Hemsley Wilson in June 1832.     Isabella or her mother may therefore have been a Hemsley.

I scoured the marriages for All Saints in the Bishop Transcript Images on Family Search and did find a George Wilson as a witness to the marriage of a Ralph Symington and Elizabeth Linsey at All Saints Newcastle on New Year's Day 1822.   Oddly enough there was an Isabella Wilson marrying somebody else on the opposite page and several days later.

I had hoped that George being a Miller might help place him, but somebody else on another family web page has pointed out that there were some 20 or so Mills along the Ouseburn at that time.   Ouseburn runs through Gosforth so I feel fairly confident that this is the right family.

Furthermore it looks like George's birth may have been in 1797, son of a Thomas Wilson and Ann of Wallsend.    John Wilson of Consett named his children Isabella, Robert, Thomas and Mary Ann.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Marriage of George Wilson and Isabella of Ouseburn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
I think I am not grasping what you are looking for , John Oliver born Gosforth,   so is he a Wilson, ? or an Oliver,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 14 20:23 BST (UK) »
I think I am not grasping what you are looking for , John Oliver born Gosforth,   so is he a Wilson, ? or an Oliver,

Sorry about that.  I should have written John Wilson.     I've just got Oliver on the brain having spent so much time on that line and found so many of them.   Just to add a bit more, John's son Thomas Wilson married Emma Oliver who was the sister of a John Oliver and my gt.grandmother Jane Oliver.

I was contacted recently by a cousin I didn't know of, David Wilson who is the gt.grandson of Thomas Wilson and Emma Oliver.

In the past I was given a completely wrong line about the Wilson ancestry and David having seen my tree on Wikitree pointed out the error.   There is an email this morning from David telling me that he never got past John Wilson and Isabella Chambers.

I was sent back to Consett in 1940 to live with Gt.Aunt Emma Wilson and her daughter, Auntie Bella for the duration of the Blitz so I have a close connection to the Wilson's and any help on establishing the parents of John Wilson would be so much appreciated.    Thank You, Malcolm.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
   I know from the 1871 census that John Oliver in Consett was born circa 1823/24 in Gosforth.  The only birth that I can find to fit is a baptism at All Saints Newcastle - 16 Mar 1823 John Wilson, of Ouseburn, son of George (miller) & Isabella Wilson.

Presumably your 1871 John's marriage certificate confirms that his father's name was George?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 14 21:23 BST (UK) »

Presumably your 1871 John's marriage certificate confirms that his father's name was George?

I must ask David if he or any of the Wilson family ever got the marriage certificate.  If not, then it is of course the first thing to do.    Thanks for the reminder Jen
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Jon42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
I realise this is a very old post, but did you find what you were  looking for about RHW?  My grandfather b1902 was RHW and his grandfather RHW b1834 before him, and so I may have some information if you're still looking.

I haven't been doing this for a few years now though, and a lot has obviously come online since so you may have everything I know already.  I can have a look if there's anything that you still need though.

Best regards,

Jon

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
Please check this info;

FreeREG

Marriage;
George WILSON to Isabella WILSON, 11 Nov 1820, St Mary, Gateshead   

Baptism;
ISABELLA Wilson 4 Nov 1798, St Michael, Houghton-le-Spring, Durham
Birth 28 May 1796
Parents ROBT/THOMASINE Wilson, Mothers maiden name EMSLEY**
Abode Houghton, Father a Labourer
Notes;
1st daughter. Father native of Craster, Lincolnshire and mother native of Walls End. See also baptism for Elizabeth WILSON on same date
(Caistor I would say)

Robert married Thomasine HEMSLEY*** 6 May 1795 St Michael
Brides Parish Chapelry of Painshaw

You may have already found this is not your Family but it may help someone else in the future.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)