Author Topic: Disappointing Proni records  (Read 1311 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Disappointing Proni records
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Have always struggled with understanding Proni website.

My ancestor from Co. Tyrone, who had gone to Glasgow in 1864, returned to Ireland for period of about 1 year in 1870-71.  Had applied for Poor Law Relief in Glasgow, but did not have "residence" requirement.  Definitely returned to Ireland shortly after Glasgow application.  Apparently without family support, so I  thought she might have applied for Poor Law Relief in Omagh district. 

Checking through Proni index (BG Board of Guardians records), did not find "admissions or outdoor relief applications" or similar, for relevant period, but did find Reference BG26/B/1 - which referred to "Outward Letter Books - 1838-1948".  I know it was a vague possibility, but thought there could be some correspondence between Omagh and Glasgow Poor Relief authorities re my ancestor. Sent off request with specific details of my ancestor,  paid $25 Australian Dollars, waited about 6 weeks, only to receive a slip of paper from them today. I quote -  "... All there is is letters to the police requesting their attendance etc.  There are no names of individuals"...   Just that - no explanation of Police attendances to where or what.... What a disappointment - if there had been a better explanation on their index of what type of "Outward letters" they were, I could have saved my time and $25 !!! 
Oh well, another "dead end" path..... 
My ancestor then returned to Glasgow and died about 6 months later of TB... so as she did not appear to have many contacts or support in Ireland, I would gather she would have had to have some sort of official "support' while there ... but looks like there might be no remaining records.
Disappointing!

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointing Proni records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I believe that, unlike England, the Poor Law Act (Ireland) did not have a residency requirement so your ancestor could have applied for admission anywhere.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Before blaming PRONI (or any other archives) it's best to look at their website and have a look at all the reference topics they've assembled for people researching their family or looking for information (which may or may not even be available or in their archives).

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/family_history.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingkerswell and Aghadowey,

thank you both - Points taken from both of your posts. 

Yes, I agree Aghadowey re complaining.  I did have a good look at Proni's site and reference topics - but thought it was worth the chance of paying a fair amount of money on the off chance that the particular ref. topic would give me some info.  Maybe the fact that they eventually replied, but on a slip of paper - "with compliments" size.. and a one sentence reply...  Suppose I should be used to the disappointments by now after all these years of searching lololol!!  Thanks both of you for your input!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.