Author Topic: Brennan family of Finglas  (Read 33598 times)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there's any issue with grave stones.

There are some records that your not free to publish on the web.
But what rootschat are most strict about is looking out for the living.
It just isn't wise to let the world and his wife know anyone's personal email or anything that would effect someone living. So the personal message helps out there.

Other Brennans might be glad on the grave info.
I don't think I'm the only local person that finds the Brennans interesting.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that; i just wanted to be sure and also, i was thinking about it; a graveyard is a public space and anyone who cares to walk past can read the headstones.

Also, a bit of a promo for my other post in the Dublin section: 3rd Battalion, Fingal Brigade & Leixlip Flying Column. Anyone out there with any ideas, suggestions or information???
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Removed temporarily for corrections
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 January 10 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristof
Thought I'd go back to talking publicly just in case any bright sparks are following the saga of Terry  Brennan and Annie O'Shunissy (sic, I'd imagine)

Well with the marriage cert of Francis(Terry) Brennan and Ann O'Shaughnessy cheating you out of her fathers name what can be done?
Looking back to the census, well Annie's home seems unusual.
3 infants are down as "nurse child"

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Finglas/Finglas_Town/7894/

Was Elizabeth McEvoy minding neighbourhood kids? If you look at the birth places. They seem to be giving out little clues there.
I guess her children are the only ones born in Finglas.
I guess that the "nurse children" are been shipped in from City centre which might indicate that Ann O'Shaughnessy is from Dublin but not the heart of the city or Finglas. The outskirts maybe.

Well I wonder was there an orphanage that Elizabeth was helping out with children in there infancy. Maybe she hadn't the heart to send Annie back.

The surname is not helping. It just seems to crying out to be misspelt. And it might lose the O'.
I wonder, there doesn't seem to be anyone else in Finglas with the surname in 1911 but maybe one will show up in 1901.

Probably a load of nonsense I'm airing.
Just thought I'd wonder out loud. You never know, some light bulb might start to flicker.

Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 January 10 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, some good points that i hadn't considered.

yes, i had thought that Elizabeth McEvoy's household was a little odd; i had wondered if it was one of the few avenues for a widow to earn money; taking in nurse children. 

I had also wondered for a while if perhaps Annie was in some way related to the McEvoys, perhaps Elizabeth's niece, etc. but i think that if she was, then it would have been written on the census, and there would have been no need for a formal adoption?  Ok, so the marriage certificate hasn't moved us forward, so what's our next step?

Ok, so, to all our avid readers out there, how do we go about finding Annie's parents or any other details about her birth? 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
...... Ok, so the marriage certificate hasn't moved us forward, so what's our next step?

Ok, so, to all our avid readers out there, how do we go about finding Annie's parents or any other details about her birth? 

Have you received the marriage cert from the GRO already ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I've received a copy of the marriage certificate, but via a third party who kindly sourced it for me.  Date of marriage is 2 June, 1926.  Sadly, Annie's father is written in as unknown. 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd be surprised if she had any knowledge of his name that it wouldn't have been put down there. Even if they were estranged.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
All I can think of at the moment is to try for birth certs for Ann/Annie in Dublin around the right time, and then see if there s any way to connect or eliminate them. One of of them should be the correct one .. there are none that seem to match her est. age on the census exactly, but there are a few possibilities :

Annie Bridget O'Shaughnessy / Dublin North / Jan - Mar 1909
 Annie O'Shaughnessy / Dublin North / Jul - Sep 1899
 Anne T O'Shaughnessy/ Dublin South / Oct - Dec 1900

do you know any middle names for Ann/Annie ?

maybe looking for possible later deaths of parents, and other marriages of Annie/Ann O'Shaunessy ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests