Author Topic: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board  (Read 15143 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 10:43 BST (UK) »
Here I go again, after a good few years, I have at long last  actually found some death information on Ancestry for Henry Maxwell MATHEWS, my Irish G G G GRANDFATHER. He died in 1875 and was buried at St. Peter's, Anglican, Dublin, 18.6.1785.  Doesn't actually give a date Of death, but I'm not really too concerned about that.  Then there is location, (or maybe it said place) stated Revs Port.

Would appreciate if anyone has any clues ,any clues, couldn't find anything relevant to a place called revs port on google. It's typed, so may have been lost in transcription.

This location doesn't seem to me to be a place name, but I'm wondering if maybe it's an abbreviation of "Reverend's" part, or something or other to do with St. Peter's.   Interesting. 

Thanks for any ideas
Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 July 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
There's a death announcement in the Manchester Times for October 19th, 1851:

On the 12th inst, at Dublin, Sarah, relict of Henry Maxwell Mathews Esq, of Moyally, Kings County

So Henry must have died before then
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 July 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Here is Sarah's burial record. Aged 58 so born circa 1793. http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-116-1-4-197

Address 47 Aungier Street

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 26 July 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast there's an 1874 landed estate record which mentions an 1828 lease on land at Parkwood (not very far from Moyally in Co Offaly):

"Lease dated 25th April 1828 between Elizabeth Jones and Sarah Jones of the one part and Michael Molloy of the other part......for the lives of Michael Molloy, the lessee, William J Norris eldest son of Thomas Norris, and Richard Mathews, second son of Henry Maxwell Mathews, now deceased"

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 July 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
The Dublin directories list Mrs Henry Maxwell Mathews as a head of household from 1840 (possibly earlier - I haven't been able to check 1836-1839) so it seems very likely that Henry died before that.

The 1835 directory lists a Henry M Mathews at 5 Buckingham Place and also one at 18 Portland Street.

There's an 1838 Dublin burial for a Henry Mathews of Portland Street. He was aged 64.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 July 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
See references to "Maxwell Mathews" in the Tithe Applotment records for Moyally in 1827: http://tinyurl.com/q6f9fw3

Also there are reports in newspapers in September 1828 of an attempt on the life of an "industrious and respectable Protestant farmer named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley". Maybe he decided to move to Dublin after that.

" On Thursday night last, an industrious and respectable Protestant farmer, named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley, in the county of Westmeath, was waylaid and maliciously fired at on his return home from the town of Mullingar. A man walked close up to him, and having ascertained his person, deliberately presented a pistol at his head. Mathews fortunately had presence of mind sufficient to strike the instrument of death before the assassin could effect his bloody purpose. The direction being changed, the ball passed through both his coats a little above the hip, but without doing any injury to his person. The assassin immediately fled, and without uttering a single word. Will the Government offer a reward for this outrage ? "

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
  YOU ARE ALL SO AMAZING,,,
Thanks so much Shaun. Fabulous.  I had had little of this info, but certainly not the majority of it. As usual, it's incredible the support I've had on this board.

I've had a bit if trouble posting a reply, but it was probably mostly waffle anyway.  I had an attachment on it as well, but it was probably too big or something.  Anyway, I'll sleep on what you've given me.

Went through the burial records that your link pointed me to for Sarah Mathews death, but couldn't actually spot her.  Had a couple of goes, but I'll try it again in the morning. Hopefully my brain and eyes will be a little fresher by the time I do it again. Thanks Shaun

Happy Jeanne 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Went through the burial records that your link pointed me to for Sarah Mathews death, but couldn't actually spot her.

It's the last one on the page

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Ok just had another look.  Opens at Page 33, first name. Sarah Berford, or something like that, then there are three more full entries, and the next one for White, is cut off half way through. So I wound my way through the whole lot, no go.

Later....  Just had a thought, I've been working from my iPad mini, so I ducked up to the P.C, logged in there, and hit the rest of it, WOUND RIGHT DOWN AND THERE SHE WAS.  so no worries on the PC. 
Thanks.  Yet again !

Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections