Author Topic: Help please! reference needed for birth certificate for John Joseph Reddin!  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Jency

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joseph Reddin was born in Donnybrook Dublin in 1859/60. I would love the reference needed to apply for his birth certificate. Only other details I know is that his father was named John Reddin and was I think a cab driver.

I am frustrated with myself because somehow I managed to get what I believe is his death certificate, died Dublin in 1942, but now cannot remember where I got reference from!

Please excuse my incompetence, I am just home from hospital, maybe anaesthetic to blame!

Thank you so much anyone who can help me.          jency

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! reference needed for birth certificate for John Joseph Reddin!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 - so a little too late to include a cert for your John

The Irish BMD Index is available on the FamilySearch website, so that's the location to search for a possible death. You can use the index references to order a cert from the GRO

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 13 11:29 GMT (UK) »
....I managed to get what I believe is his death certificate, died Dublin in 1942, but now cannot remember where I got reference from!

possibly this death from the Index:

Name: John Joseph Reddin
   Event Type:  Death
   Quarter and Year:  Jan-Mar 1942
   Registration District: Dublin South
   Volume : 2 / Page : 426
   see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTL7-93P

for notes on certs, and ordering from the GRO see :
   Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:36 GMT (UK) »
here's a previous topic on the beginners board :

john joseph reddin

If these records all relate the one John Reddin, then he seems to have been born here in Dublin late 1850s/early 1860s, married in Manchester 1881, emigrated to Melbourne soon after the marriage, and then disappeared around 1885...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with his birth but going in the opposite direction.
There is a 'John J Reddin' on the 1939 Electoral Register at 45 Fitzwilliam Square.
http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php
This is the same 'John Reddin' age 81 buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in 1941 with the same address.
http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/
Since that Death reference is for the first quarter 1942, he could have actually died at the end of 1941 and the death registered in early 1942.
The Glasnevin record costs €3 to see and the 20th century ones have very little detail other than address and the location of the grave, but with that information you should be able to ask the cemetery to check with the original register which will give the informants name.
Also of course there should be a headstone to see.
Best though to get the death cert first and see if it says the death actually occurred in 1941 or 1942.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
based on details of the Fitzwilliam Sq. address that hasta mentioned, that John Reddin (listed as J.J. in 1927) was employed with Dublin Port and Docks board, in which case these two listing appear to be a good match for him on the 1901 and 1911 census, with wife Teresa and four sons  ...

Reddin household, Clontarf - 1901
  Reddin household, Drumcondra - 1911

Occupation for John listed as 'Clerk Dublin Port and Docks Board' in 1901 and 'Clerk to Harbour works, North Wall, Dublin' in 1911. Place of birth given for John is 'Co. Dublin', in around c1862/63

Based on the 1911 return John and Teresa married in around 1891.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
based on the BMD Index it appears that John and Teresa actually married in the Oct-Dec quarter of 1888, and the possible bride is a Teresa Sheils .. which fits with the surname of the  'visitor' listed on the 1901 return. Possibly a sister to Teresa, and she also has the same County of Birth.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jency

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing Dublin birth, help please
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 June 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Trying to find birth for John Joseph Reddin in Dublin, I believe may have been in Donnybrook area around 1860.
First married in Manchester 1881, then to Australia alone and back to Dublin around late 1880's to marry again. His fathers name was John Reddin. My now deceased Dad thought family may have come from Cork area originally.
I am still looking for these details about my ancestor in order to branch out and find more family.
Have had  tremendous help in the past but had to take a break from searching  as had a  bereavement in our family.
Any help very gratefully received. Thank you jency.

Moderator  note : Merged with previous topic

Offline Smacker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 June 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
This John Joseph Reddin who married Teresa Shiels father was Thomas Reddin, that is on the marriage record of John Joseph & Teresa.  This family had been in the Ringsend district since around 1820 and were all descendants of Matthew Reddan born around 1777 - name variously spelt Reddan, Reddin, Redding but all were Catholics - earliest record found is for 21 July 1821 at the Roman Catholic Chapel, 11 Pembroke St, Irishtown, Dublin for the marriage of John Joseph Reddin's grandfather Matthew Redden, who was acknowledged as the son of Matthew Reddan.

John Joseph is a common name - Matthew Reddan senior had a younger son John born around 1820, probably in the Ringsend area but I have not traced his family could he have had a son John Joseph?
Regards