Author Topic: Information appreciated for Fox/Shelly & Shelly/Whitty families  (Read 22407 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information appreciated for Fox/Shelly & Shelly/Whitty families
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 June 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Dathai
Well spotted - this proves that the Mary Smith in the 1901 Nth Gloucester Place age 46 widowed born Queens' county  is a sister of Alicia Fox's mother Margaret Shelley - And one of the sponsors for one of the baptisms is James Shelly of Mabbott St who was married to Anne Whitty.
This seems to be James Shelly and Ann in the 1901 census where James states he was born in Queens Co as did his sister Mary.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mountjoy/North_William_Street/1323426/

annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 June 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
did you spot the mistranscription on that census for her brother john hulley census form says john shelly, he is at 10.5 summerhill parade in 1911 married 8 years no wife or children with him.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 June 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
 my god talk about infant mortality in those days did you see james shelly's return for 1911 at 45 ballybough road, 17 children born 7 alive, must have been hurrendus for them.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 June 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Dathai
No I didn't spot the mis trancription for John Shelly - am not so eagle-eyed as you are. Yes I saw the listing of the 17 children and 7 alive for teh James Shelly family- not very unusual in my own tree I have a family with 18 children born and only 3 lived to adulthood.T. B. as well as other diseases were rampant in those days and very little the medics could do.
annclare

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 June 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
marriage on family search  1885. james shelly and anne whitty july sep 1885 ,enniscorthy,ireland. vol 4 page 247.

Offline allesond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
To Shanew 147, Annclare, and Dathai
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 June 13 04:59 BST (UK) »
Reply 1: Thank you Shanew 147 I will order some records, I wondered what other information might be available.

The only background we have on Margaret Fox comes from documents, as all our parents are not living.  You can see the confusion on birth year below; however, her birthday is April 19.

Marriage cert Liverpool August 1919 lists her as 26 years old (b. 1893). States Nicholas Fox as f. and Master Mariner as occupation (true or not?)

Canada Ocean arrival March 1922 lists her as 30 years old (b. 1892), and born in Liverpool and father born in England; however Margaret was known to disown her Irish heritage (don’t know why).

Margaret’s daughter’s birth certificate (Isabel) August 1925 lists Margaret as 32 years old (b. 1893) and b. in Dublin Ireland.

Death cert Vancouver, Canada March 1947 lists Margaret as 57 (b. 1889/90) and b. in Dublin Ireland, but father as English (death cert is only as good as the survivor’s knowledge).

Reply 2/5/8/11/13: Thank you Dathai, I thought as well it is easy to mistake Mich… and Nich… but I don’t think twice for 2 different children. As, well I can clearly read Michael, unless it was being transcribed from someone else’s writing.

I also noticed the link with the Smiths.  I will look at the links more closely. I knew of one child’s death, but wow. These would be good to see why they died.

I did find an Ancestry entry for the Whitty/James marriage but was hoping to find a church record with all that great collateral info.

Rely 3/4/6/7: Thank you Annclare, The tree in ancestry that you are referring to is mine. This family is such an enigma that I find it easier to add candidates to the tree and then rule them out and delete them. I should delete Sarah Ann Worstenholme and Mary Holf (wife of William).

I have looked everywhere for a marine record and none can be found (was he a mariner or was it a story?)

Related to two separate couples: Michael Fox and Margaret Shelly were living in Margaret Shelly’s parents home at the time of Catherine’s birth 57 Mabbot, which is on the marriage record as the Bride’s parents when she married Nicholas (curiouser and curiouser). Michael & Margaret lived at 59 Mabbot when Margaret Mary Fox was b. 1890.

I have not looked at Malta, as everything points to Dublin, but will. I have noticed the relationships of the Fox’s, Shelly’s, and Smiths. Seems either a Smith is sponser to a Fox/Shelly or a Shelly / is sponser to a Smith. I hadn’t wanted to muddy the water, but had missed the Nicholas Fox as Alicia’s parents, but now that I look I see Nicolaus and Margarita, which I have seen this spelling in much earlier decades and wonder if they are not the same couple.

I also saw in inscription in the column and tried to find an Adam Alexander in Liverpool, but did not find and I see you did. Thank you.

Thank you so much Shanew147, Annclare, and Dathai, I was thrilled to read your replies & get some direction.  I don’t get to research for the next week but will be ordering some records.

Best regards,
Alleson

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Alleson
Ignore Malta its ared herring as I found an index which indicates those Fox childrens' father was in the Army in Malta.
annclare

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
strange one. on glasnevin trust genealogy . nicholas fox 1901 age 40 buried in standard grave not on death index.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 June 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Alleson
Have you tried LLoyds' Captains register for Nicholas Fox?
 If not I may be able to do a look up
annclare