Author Topic: 1851 census  (Read 8929 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 June 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
I have been attempting to connect Robert the Law Clerk to my tree for over twenty years and being a Law Clerk did not help me directly. It seems they are in layman's terms a lawyers apprentice and can do the majority of work that a lawyer performs in the office and they become a lawyer when or if they pass the Bar Exam hence the term being called to the bar which I always thought referred to the liquor industry!!  I checked the 1850 directory of Dublin on line and there are a couple of William Mcgrath or Macgraths listed as solicitors  and at the bottom of the list it states " From the Law Directory" so maybe that could give you a hint  the other two do not appear
I guess the main lesson I have learned is never give up
Good Hunting Dennis 
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk