Author Topic: 1851 census  (Read 8931 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 June 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
I think these Robert's and Charlotte's were a generation behind mine, As regards religion sometimes R C sometimes not it appears, My Robert was born in Mallow in 1789 and he married Miss Charlotte Cotterell at St Peters Church Cork City on the 5th Sep 1817 the only baptism or christening details I have is of a daughter Mary Anne  5 Sep 1817 at St Marys Shandon Cork and it appears those parish registers did not survive 1922, Robert was in Cork city in 1833 as he was a poll clerk and scrivener at the 1833 election, In 1844 one of the beneficiaries of Charlotte's father Francis will a architect of Cork had died and it mentions the executors are Robert and Charlotte Homan of Dublin.
The seaman who gave his POB as Dublin was a Charles Holton Homan abt 1834
I have checked the 1862 directory and Robert is not mentioned #22 Ormond Quay Lower it does have solicitors there but Robert was a Law Clerk so could not get a mention?
Would not it had been a lot better if there had been no 1922!
Thank you Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Just Googled to check where Glasnevin is situated as it is not in Australia!! and there it is in Dublin only a decent push bike ride from Ormond Quay The burial you quote would have that Charlotte as being born in 1799 that means she would have been 18 at her marriage and Robert 27 I believe it was the Irish custom or at least that was what I have been told for the bride to be younger than the groom so that burial seems a very good lead as I do not have Charlotte's DOB any opinion?
Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 June 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
You can get a read out of the grave from Glasnevin Trust Genealogy on line for a cost of about 10 euro for full grave interments as it is an extended grave meaning more than one buried,or you can get a standard readout for one person which costs about 3 euro or an extra 2 euro 5 in all to look at the book image.
Book image usually gives address and informant for the burial.
This is the only way you may find out if its the Charlotte you are looking for.

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that tip for the burial whilst no occupations etc are given I am now sure that that Charlotte in mine because in the same grave dying on the 19th Jun 1854  is a  Robert but there is a misread of the entry. his surname is given as Horran ( you mentioned that error before) he was of Britain Street I have found a little Britain Street in Dublin and it is only about a mile from Ormond Quay  Lower Street so in my opinion BINGO. Also in the grave is a Belinda Homan who died in  1846 aged 16  she could be a daughter of Robert and Charlotte  and buried in 1856  is a Teressa Sheehan aged 40 of Henry Street which is in the same area That lady I do not think is a daughter as Robert and Charlotte were married in 1817 unless the age of 40 is an error and I do have the first born child of Robert and Charlotte as being born 1820 so could be?
Thanks again Dennis

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
There was also Great Britain Street now known as Parnell Street.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the church register on Irish Genealogy,Church Records for that baptism in 1833 of Charlotte Horran i think the mothers name is down as Cottrill not Cahill.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
There is a Charlotte Brennan buried Glasnevin 1880 age 42

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 June 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
Please could I borrow your crystal ball or whatever you are using as you are right on all counts, As regards the entry in the Church Records I have used them before but never had noticed the "View the church register" business and now I have used it has given me information on the parish names and opened up more lines for me to get frustrated with!! As regards the baptism of Charlotte you are definitely right the name is Cotterell. To think a month ago I only knew the names of four male children to Robert and Charlotte and the only reason I knew them was that they were seaman and used my ancestrors house in Southampton to stay, marry and die when not at sea, now I have their four sisters.
Thank you again Dennis

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 June 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Dennis,
I too have been trying track ancestors who were law clerks in Dublin (2 Wm  & 1 Robert Charles Magrath, 1 James Crowe around 1840 and after). I just can't get further back & so delving into their professions is a possible route.  I saw a TV programme that said that in England at the time, such occupations involved an apprenticeship (learning all the different scripts etc).  I wonder if you have any information about this, or possible scrivener/law clerk 'societies' or associations?
Any leads appreciated :)
Irene
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin