Author Topic: Lanchester Road, Grangetown, near Middlesbrough  (Read 13824 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Lanchester Road, Grangetown, near Middlesbrough
« on: Tuesday 21 February 12 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks

Bit of a long shot, but I'm looking for any photos of Lanchester Road in Grangetown and wondered if any of you lovely Rootschatters may have some in your photo albums, or know where I might find some?

I know there's a book about Grangetown (my parents have it) but from my recollection there is no photo of Lanchester Road - however please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll ask them to dig it out (could be in any number of boxes as they moved recently!)

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lanchester Road, Grangetown, near Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whipby...Lots of old images of Grangetown here...you need to scroll quite a way down for Lanchester Road!

http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/cardboardcity/page5.phtml

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thank you very much for the link, I've seen that photo before, but was hoping for a view of Lanchester Road itself - I think this one is from a house on a corner of Lanchester Road looking out over the adjacent area.

I do appreciate you taking the time to look for me though, thank you!

Whipby
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whipby....Frustrating isn't it searching for ancetral homes that don't exist any more :-\...Have you tried the Grangetown Local History Unit.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Carol - No, I've not heard of them.  Are they online?  I'll have a google!

The frustrating thing is that the house I'm interested in does still exist, but I had a look on Streetview and it's been modernised and doesn't look like it did when I visited there often as a child.  It's also extremely scruffy.  I'm making a memory book for someone and don't want to put a photo of the scruffy, altered, house in it!

I was hoping that someone who maybe used to live there might have a photo or two lurking in their photo albums that they might be willing to share with me.

I've had no luck so far with family so thought I'd try a long shot!  Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Whipby

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Why not put the photo on the restoration board and ask for it to be aged...I have seen that done before.
Carol

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, that's an idea.  But the house has been extended at the front and I think it would be difficult to remove the extension!  Sorry, I feel as though I'm pouring cold water on all your suggestions!  I'm just off to have a look on ebay to see if there are any photos or postcards for sale there.  Wish me luck!

PS - I googled Grangetown Local History Unit but couldn't find anything concrete - lots of stuff regarding Grangetown Local History Society from Cardiff, but couldn't find anything relating to M'bro's Grangetown.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
The only other thing I can suggest is the Francis Frith Collection...or Flicker Photos.
There must be a Local History Unit close to Grangetown...I got the cardiff one too ;D
Good Luck!
Carol

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, will check those out!