Author Topic: Wedges Camp  (Read 29569 times)

Offline Tilda Mary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 12 09:15 BST (UK) »

Thanks Kay,

Yes, it  stirred up old memories, all very good.

Has there ever been a reunion?

Keep the memories alive,

With thanks,

Mary Tilda

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 12 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
No reunion or at least not to my knowledge!!
regards
Kay
Names and areas of interest: Banks, Hibbs & Williams - Lancs:  Burchnall - Cambs, Lincs & Leics: Cox - Lincs & Leics: Price & Cook - Worcs & Leics: Cheal, Lashmar and Hammond - Sussex.

Offline Acorn Cottage

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
My husband was at Wedges for the Spring Term of 1956.  His brother had previously been there in 1953.  He remembers that several children absconded but were brought back either by their parents, or the police!  The records also indicate that children were sent home for bed-wetting, which seems to defeat the object of the school. He had good memories of the place - school work in the mornings, and outdoor activities in the afternoons.  He also recalls that the actor, Leo Genn, came to the school and read stories to the children.  He also remembers the country dancing, but especially the cricket matches which they usually won.

Offline Nick100

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 November 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My mother was a teacher at Wedges, Miss Jean Devonport. She taught gym for a long time and cookery. She also did Christmas/Easter activities and Easter and also produced musicals. She remember Betty Miller, Vera Kelly, Freda Swaine and Morris Chalk ('Chalky'). She was there from 1948 - 1955, and met her future husband there (Mr Wood). Mr Les Bolton also was there.

She also remembers the head - very well dressed - who was the head at Itchinfield, who always used to walk around with her dog under her arm.

She would like to hear from anyone who remembers her.

Nick

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 November 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick
Sorry I can't be of any help, I was too young to go but my elder sister was there.  Unfortunately she is no longer with us.
Regards
Kay
Names and areas of interest: Banks, Hibbs & Williams - Lancs:  Burchnall - Cambs, Lincs & Leics: Cox - Lincs & Leics: Price & Cook - Worcs & Leics: Cheal, Lashmar and Hammond - Sussex.

Offline john_golden12000x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 January 14 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I Was A Pupil At Wedges Camp School In 1952 .. The Headmaster`s Name Was Mr Booth .. He Also Wrote A Nature Page For The EAGLE COMIC .. School Song :- .. Here We Are At Wedges Camp Far Far Away, All We Get Is Bread And Scrape Three Times A Day, Ham And Eggs We Never See Get No Sugar In Our Tea, We Are The Jubilee Fading Away, Goodbye All The Pupils And The Teachers To .. Goodbye Mr Booth And Blooming Good Luck To You .. :)

John
               Philippines

Offline john_golden12000x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 January 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh Yes !!!! .. I Remember The Master .. " Bully Bolton " .. And Visiting The TUCK SHOP In Barnes Green ..

Offline mojo2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 January 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I was there for two terms, following repeated poor health. When I left I took the 11+ at my old school , so must have been 10, thus 1951. I remember the head's name as Ollershaw but may be wrong. The school song brings back memories, spot on. I had my first crush there,  on a girl of about 14 called Janet Hogsflesh ( an uncommon Sussex name ). An older friend has a photo of the wooden huts. Like everybody else, all my memories are good, after I got over being deserted by my mother.

Offline Geoffrey Chesher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 June 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Re:- Wedges School
I was at wedges from 1950 to 1953, Had a great time in the top class throughout, the head master Mr Ollerinshaw also presented on the BBC Children's Hour, we used to go to his bungalow to watch the results on TV, He would say that the items were made in carpentry class by by a lad called Chalky, we all new this was the woodwork master.  We used to go cross country running twice a week, I also learnt to swim in the open air pool which we had to clean at the start of summer term, it was then filled with cold water via a fire hose and took about another week to warm up. I became the school cricket umpire in my last year. My Mom & Dad only visited on one open day each term & I was allowed one shilling & sixpence for the tuck shop each week,