Author Topic: the kings  (Read 1629 times)

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the kings
« on: Sunday 15 June 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
 Hello would  anyone know if the 1/8th Regt. had a barrack in Ireland in 1860 and if so where please.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the kings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know about the particular Regiment you mention, but maybe there is some information on the following website of interest.

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/maps-plans-drawings-collection/history
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
The Kings Regiment was formed in 1958, as an amalgamation of The Manchester Regiment and The Kings Regiment (Liverpool).

In turn, The Kings Regiment (Liverpool) was formed in 1881 as part of the Childer's reforms.

So, presumably you are referring to the 8th (The Kings) Regiment of Foot?

In 1846, the regiment began a 14-year posting to India, stationed initially in the Bombay Presidency.
The 1st Battalion was brought back to Britain in 1860. It spent the year 1865 in Dublin, Ireland, where the battalion supported garrison operations against Irish Republican activity in the city. Then, after two years in Malta, the 1st King's returned to the sub-continent in 1868 where it remained for a decade.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 June 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Pennines and KGarrad for all that information  I do appreciate you helping me   

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello would  anyone know if the 1/8th Regt. had a barrack in Ireland in 1860 and if so where please.

Hi Shela

Yes the Depot of both battalions was in Templemore - certainly from 1860 to 1864. So even after the service companies of the 1st Battalion returned to Gosport in September 1860.

If you are interested in a particular man, then post his name, date and place of birth and I will see what else I have.

Infantry regiments did not have permanent barracks until 1873. Before that a Depot of at least one company stayed in the UK while the service companies of a battalion went overseas. Once the battalion was home again the Depot would normally re-join them quite quickly. But not in this case.

Ken

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Ken, I have been trying for such a long time with this  I have all but giving up , its the brick wall that I keep saying I will  not give anymore  time to' so I will tell you all I know. name Daniel Kennedy  born (1840). on his marriage lines in 1868 he was a sergeant in 1/8 regt.in Valletta Malta. Next bit of information I have is his daughters marriage in 1891 in Corradino Malta. I think he has retired by this time his profession now is Prison Warder, his age was not on any of the certifies, fathers name was down as Denis Kenny and his wife name was Theresa Terry, and that ken is all I have. thank you for trying.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
...I have been trying for such a long time with this  I have all but giving up , its the brick wall that I keep saying I will  not give anymore  time to' ...

You should have put it in the Armed Forces section. The 8th Foot had nothing to do with Lancashire until 1873.

Anyway, by 1869/1870 he is serving in the 2nd Battalion:

#539 Private Daniel Kennedy, basic pay is 1s 2d a day, plus 1d re-engaged pay = he was on his second period of ten years service, plus 1d Good Conduct pay – Company’s Cook in one muster. So he must have been demoted after getting married. He is not on the Marriage Establishment, ie with a wife recognised by the regiment. Although spaces for Privates was 40 places out of c800.

Only having 1d good conduct pay suggest he was punished for something - demoted and loss of GC pay.

Transferred to Army Reserve – 13th July 1871 from Manchester. The 2nd Bn are there for the 1871 Census. He enlisted Roserea.  Intended residence Leeds. He was given 5 shillings and 3s 5d travel expenses. Another page says he enlisted 1st March 1858. Place of Birth St Mary’s ? I will try and post it.

This information comes from a few musters I have.

Ken

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 June 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thank- you for all that information ken, I do appreciate your help. where did you get all that from?. thanks again 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
No 539 Daniel Kennedy's army discharge file is viewable on FindMyPast. He was born circa July 1839 in St Mary's parish near Athlone in Westmeath. Served in Gibraltar and Malta. Discharged 25th May 1877 with chronic bronchitis. 

Served with 2nd Battalion 1858-1871 and after that  with 1st Class A reserve in Leeds. Would have been in Malta in 1868. A Private throughout, never a Sergeant.

His intended place of residence on discharge was 23 Copper Street in Leeds. He's there in the 1881 census (an unemployed pensioner) with a wife Margaret born Ireland and two children: Margaret 5 and Julia 2, both born Leeds
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk